I'm fixing to paint my 943 what's the best place to get cat yellow and best way to clean and prep to paint I have never painted any equipment just trailers and dump truck beds
The Caterpillar paint is very good quality and reasonably priced. Their primer sticks to damn near everything. It's available at any Cat dealer. Tractor Supply also has decent paint, I'm pretty sure Cat yellow is offered. I pressure wash or steam clean the machine, wire brush any rust, smooth out any real rough digs in the paint and then shoot primer followed by topcoat. It depends on how fancy you want your finish, I keep in mind it's a machine that sees rough service.
I have heard that Home Depot has a good Cat yellow in an oil based quart and gallon size. Just word of mouth.
Thanks that will help I'm just wanting a coat of paint on the machine so it looks good customers like to see nicer equipment on there job/project.I know it's gonna get scratched up
your cat dealer has paint by the gallon, or the spray can, and no guess about right yellow, and price is right.
Tractor Supply definitely sells Cat Yellow in spray cans, quarts, and gallons. They also have the reducer and hardener for it as well. I used it to spray an old equipment trailer that I rebuilt, and it sprayed real nice. They also run sales on their paint as well. Not sure how the price compares to buying it from Cat though.
Cat yellow has changed a few times over the years. If unconcerned about the historic "correct" Cat yellow paint for your particular model it is hard to beat the dealers Cat paint.
Any idea what Cat charges for a gallon, give or take?
May not help you much TCat, but our Cat dealer is asking AUD$51 for yellow Hi Gloss, same for yellow Hi Gloss fast drying, AUD$60 for yellow water reducible and AUD$47 for yellow primer. These prices seem very competitive with other quality paints on the market here. Next question is which is best to use and how much would it take to cover D6 size dozer? Cheers, Greg
D6 probably 7-9 gallons plus reducer based on what I have put on machines n the past. Higher the heat the slower the reducer and colder the faster otherwise just figure on two 5(US) gallon pails
That sounds like a lot of paint! I would have thought that ten gallons of paint should paint the machine and the barn that houses it.
Thanks Greg- If I figured the exchange rate correctly, that should be around $38 US or so. That's pretty reasonable I would say.
Last time we got a couple gallons of Cat yellow it was about $36 a gallon, it flowed out of the gun really nice too. I would definitely go to the dealer for it.
I just painted my D5H LGP with 2 coats, paint came from Cat, took 3 Gal. The stuff I bought was spray gun ready right out of the gal can.
Last I bought cat yellow at the dealer it was 75 bucks a gallon and primer was about the same it will cover about anything tho most of the time we get automotive paint cause we like shiny. But that also cost alot more. Deere buff primer also goes great under cat yellow The 303 is painted with 90 or 100 dollar a gallon acrylic urethane off ebay. Prep work makes or breaks paint. Now those those sale dupont overhuals are not to be compared
Download this...