Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

drill bit needed

Leon Phelps ยท 2011-03-25 23:16

looking for a 1 1/2" drill bit for mild steel. Working on an old car and need to cut hole in some steel for a frame mount. Thanks for any leads.

Replies14
  1. #1willie592011-03-25 23:27

    Mild steel? I'd use a hole saw.

  2. #2Leon Phelps2011-03-26 07:19

    they are large washers welded to a car frame. It would work, but trying for something a little cleaner.

  3. #3TOM V2011-03-26 08:21

    Try mscdirect.com

  4. #4Revicm2011-03-26 09:36

    X 2 on the hole saw...good ones are expensive but the hole would be as clean and much more easier to drill.

  5. #5PAcattech2011-03-26 09:45

    Hi Leon where abouts in PA I might be able to help you out

  6. #6bobin352011-03-26 09:59

    rotabroach

  7. #7bob b2011-03-26 12:18

    a bit that big will be a beast to work with. as mentioned a hole saw may be a better choice. maybe an electricians knock out punch would work.

  8. #8FSERVICE2011-03-26 23:09

    mag drill with a broach bit will be your best bet

  9. #9BLconst2011-03-27 01:00

    try one of these, they are way better than hole saws, go slow, sprinkle some water or oil to keep cool. ive used em on stainless. Your local electrical supply store should have em. http://www.idealindustries.com/products/tools_totes/saws_drill_bits/tko.jsp

  10. #10Revicm2011-03-27 08:23

    Thanks for the link. I go through a lot of hole saws in a season I will have to see if someone up here can supply one to try. Ideal Supply sells them. I will give them a call in the morning.

  11. #11HarrisEquipment2011-03-27 13:41

    A holesaw works well. Keep it oiled and use some air to blow the chips out of the cut channel and teeth. I' ve got a 2" lennox brand holesaw that has cut 6 holes thru 1" mild plate. I did have it in a mag drill. I think that helps alot.

  12. #12shopteacher 12011-03-30 12:09

    The TKO hole cutters are nice but quite expensive and take a lot of power to run - i.e. large drill. Additionally, because you are drilling a washer with the center removed, starting one of these or a hole saw will be difficult without filling the center. Because there is already a hole started (hole in the washer), you might try a step drill. I believe they go up to 1 1/2" and will drill steel and cast iron if needed. You can often get these at electrical supply houses as well as MSC. JOhn

  13. #13rammaxx2011-03-30 20:39

    mag drill?

  14. #14RonG2011-03-31 04:30

    A mag drill is a large heavy duty drill that can magnetize itself to hold it in position while it works.They are very common in frame shops etc.Ron G