Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for threaded weld on bosses

621_Rocker · 2011-03-26 11:22

I have been to a couple of fastener/hardware stores looking for threaded weld on bosses. The workers keep drawing a blank when I try to explain to them what I am looking for. I am sure that this is something that they can order for me. They are not difficult to make myself, only time consuming. Is there another name that I can call them where they will say, "Oh, that's what your looking for". Thanks, 621_Rocker

Replies8
  1. #1bob b2011-03-26 12:24

    equipment dealers should have them. they install plumbing on machines that dont have them. i dont think a harware store would carry them unless they are a big industrial store.

  2. #2PAcattech2011-03-26 12:44

    Hi ,621_Rocker if you give me thread size and the lenght your looking for I can get you Cat part number if you like

  3. #3leisureexpress2011-03-26 13:48

    High nuts might work for you. They typically come un coated (no cad or zinc plating) and that is better for welding on. http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999600079 If that does not work, using a spiral flute tap and the correct id tubing in a lathe can give you a level of customization that you may be looking for. That would be quick and easy.

  4. #4jrtraderny2011-03-26 15:50

    What you want are coupling nuts. You should be able to get them from a large hardware or bolt supplier. Try here. http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce...al&Nty=1&rawInput=coupling+nuts¢coupling+nuts Or here. http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/...All&searchValue=coupling+nut&Ntt=coupling+nut jr

  5. #5BLconst2011-03-27 01:04

    mc master carrr has em up to 1/4" bolt, maybe too small. http://www.mcmaster.com/#spacers-and-standoffs/=blyrvp

  6. #6BLconst2011-03-27 01:07

    larger ones here, if you cut off male thread and then weld on http://www.mcmaster.com/#spacers-and-standoffs/=blyshj

  7. #7621_Rocker2011-03-27 11:46

    Fastenel was one of the fastener stores that I want to along with another similar store. I am looking for bosses that are threaded for a 3/8" bolt. I am looking for depths of 3/4" to 2" in 1/4" increments. I thought that these would be something that would be commonly used among fabricators that install plumbing on equipment. I have seen a couple of the sizes in my Caterpillar parts book but thought that I could get these through a fastener store without paying the Cat premium. These must be available as a mass produced item from someone other than Cat. leisureexpress: High nuts at about a 1/2" are just a little bit shallow yet. I wished I had a lathe to use spiral flute tap. PAcattech: What do you have for Cat part numbers for 3/8" threads in depths of 3/4"-2" in 1/4" increments? jrtraderny: The coupling nut: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=37847&ucst=t for $17.48 I can do my own manufacturing.

  8. #8jrtraderny2011-03-27 14:07

    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=37820&ucst=t Don't know where ya got that. These are $1.12 ea. Cut to length you want yourself from 1 3/4" . I see where ya got that now, http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=37847&ucst=t , those are reducing couplers. jr