Putting a new quick coupler on my link belt 160 and I need to move the 3/4" inch lock bolt. I'm trying to drill through this hardened pin but none of my drill bits are working. Do you need to use a diamond tip cutter or annular cutter? I was able to grind off a little bit of the coating and center punch the PIN but all further progress is not going well I am using a drill press at lowest speed setting 400rpm
Carbon drill bits are probably the go to. Had to get some to drill high tensile stainless steel. Use a slow speed drill,cutting grease and don't stop because then the metal hardens even more. This is the limit of my advice.
Is the bolt broken off in the pin? If so, you should be able to drive it out withva heavy punch and hammer
No, it is a new pin. The hole it came with is in the wrong place so we are attempting to drill a new hole for the 3/4 lock bolt A carbide drill is the way to go?
Bigger drill press.
Save yourself some headaches and take it to your local machine shop.They have the tooling to make short work of it
I had that problem with a Mack and SS exhaust bolts broken off. It would be a lot of work getting the head to the machine shop. Carbide bits, slow steady and cutting oil finally worked.
I occasionally add holes to my induction hardened boring bar by grinding off an 1/8 deep inch flat spot and then I can drill it with hss drill bits, carbide is ideal then you don’t have to grind. I was told by a friend that a masonry bit can cut through the hard layer but have yet to try it.
Chuck up a 1/4” or 3/8” 4 flute carbide end mill will work very well.
Into that drill press shown in the pix ?
Heck yeah, I even used a hand drill. Your just trying to get past the hard coating.
Can you slide a spacer sleeve over it and use the original hole. d.d.
That press hes using gets bigger after a few drinks
With a 4 flute end mill ?
The induction hardened area is some tough stuff. In a lathe a ceramic insert is used to turn that layer off. Once past it can be machined with standard carbide inserts. In this case grinding is probably the fastest way to get past it so you can drill the pin.
Those Mack bolts were hard the entire way.
I remember a lot of bucket pins with a spacer on both sides of pin that the lock bolt went thru
Ended up taking pin to machine shop It was hard faced so he had to use an endmill for the outside, then he pushed a carbide drill through it. This was all done on a Bridgeport Thanks y'all 60$ later and no frustration lol
I win!!!!!! LOL you other guys can kneel at my feet!
I do these all the time. Ball nose 4 fl WC end mill. Peck-peck-peck....
Are you sure you even spelled "machine shop" correctly?
It's really spelled "Magician Shop".
Kiss my ass, I think I was the one that nailed it. Using a ball mill is the slowest thing in the world.