I have an Eaton/Char Lynn drive motor leaking into the chain case on my skid steer. I replaced the other motor several years ago for the same reason. They said there was internal damage so it wasn't worth rebuilding. Reading online it says most leaking is caused from internal damage and is rarely fixed with a seal kit. Should I just order a new drive motor or hope to get lucky? About 4200 hours on the machine. I've done pretty good maintenance on the machine and changed the hyd. filter regularly.
Scratches on the valve plate will cause oil to bleed into the case and blow out the shaft seal. If the valve plate is not to badly scratched they can be ground out/ Blue printed. Some workshops may even have a grinding table that does this. Damm, can't remember the table name.
Lapping table?
That's it MG. Old timers is just around the corner me thinks. Hope the corner is a long sweeping bend
I have NEVER has success in rebuilding any Char lynn motor. It seems they are made to throw away in most cases. After about the 3rd one I tried unsuccessfully, I swore I would never try it again. Usually those motors are reasonably priced but I haven't bought 1 in years.
Last one was $1300 so hopefully around $1500.
Called the dealer and they said the drive motor is $2872.75! I see it online for $1459.00 US. Another shop said it would cost $260.00 to take the motor apart and inspect it. If they could get a replacement the money would go towards it. I need to get the numbers off the motor to see if it's a common motor or specific for the machine.
Post the numbers here or take a pic of the tag. I am curious what my Char lynn dealer here would charge me for one.
I'll try and get some numbers on the weekend.
What a pain working on a skid steer. Lifted the seat and couldn't see any tags from the top and a bunch of hoses in the way. There must be some slight weeping from the hyd. suction hose for the loader pump or something because the motor that was replaced several years ago had a nice thick coat of dust plastered all over it. Nothing wet or dripping but 2 drops of oil is like a giant magnet for dust. I'll tighten the clamps on hose. Figured I'd take a look from underneath on the original motor that was clean but ran into problems getting the belly pan off. Bolts just wanted to turn and didn't seem to loosen. Have to play with it next weekend. I'm getting sick of always having something to fix.
Got a pic. with the phone and the part number on the already replaced motor is 112-1160-006 which looks like it could be a standard 6000 series motor but not sure if it has any other options. Also says 33806 above the number and 1547 C below.