So I guess one side of my drive motors have leaking seals. The chain case keeps pressurizing and taking on oil. First of all, how difficult is it to do these seals once the motor is removed? Also, will the hyd oil (AW 36) harm the chains at all if I use it until I get them replaced? Thanks for the help.
Hydraulic oil won't hurt the chains. I assume its a skidloader you're talking about? 60xt or 70xt perhaps? The seals are easy to replace on those machines once the motor is out on a bench.
Mine is a Mustang 2086. It's my 1st skid steer and when I went to buy it a few years back there was oil seeping out of the chain cover plate and the guy told me it just needed to be resealed. I didn't know any better so I bought it but when I remove the fill plug there is a good bit of pressure coming out and none from the other side. From reading this forum and others I figured it was the drive motors. My chain cases don't have any vents either.
That's odd. I've never worked on a mustang but I just assumed the cases would be vented like a Case. Well, he didn't completely lie...... it did need to be resealed! lol. Its not a bad job once you get the motor out. Not sure what its like on a mustang though.
As to any oil hurting chains. Well just think how easy a life those chains are having compared to those of every chain on a motorcycle. No matter the lubricting properties of the AW46(AW by the way stands for Anti wear) its better than the slop of the road riding in the rain on a motorcycle.
I looked at it last night and it's gonna be a squeeze but I should be able to get it without having to remove the other major components. And yes, you are right. he didn't completely lie. Lol. I read on an older post that some guys take their old hydraulic fluid out and put it in their chain cases when they change it. I guess it would be cheaper like that. I have one more question, do yall have any idea how heavy those motors are? I'm sure they weigh quite a bit but I don't know if it's something I should put the cherry picker on or if I can man-handle it.
You should be able to handle it just fine. I'm 6' 185lbs and I can lift one out no problem. (and I'm not some gym rat that lives in a weight rack, I live in grease, oil, and dirt. lol)
And maybe a little crown and coke.
I hear ya man. I'm going to order the parts Monday. Thanks for all the help!