Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Drives me up the wall…poor, poor websites- A small rant

JD955SC ยท 2012-11-04 20:57

The websites for heavy equipment manufacturers are horrible. Trying to use them is darn near impossible and drives me crazy. They look flashy and cool when you first visit the website but finding info about the individual machines is aggravating! It's all in downloadable brochures (which also tell nothing), few pictures other than a distant action shot and maybe a cab view, the websites are littered with crappy Flash gimmickery...AGGGGHHHHHH :Banghead:Banghead Can we PLEASE have some usable websites where I can find out about the machine without downloading 15 .PDF brochures and there are usable photos and useful information?

Replies5
  1. #1SeaMac2012-11-04 21:03

    I hear 'ya Man, Been trying to get some 938K info off of CAT's website for 'bout a month now. They've been "updating" their equipment and with each update there's less website functionality to the point where you click on "download brochure" and the screen becomes an opaque black and NOTHING happens from there. What the manufacturers want us to do is contact a Dealership and get pressured into buying equipment, when I personally like to have all pertinent information beforehand. Imagine that an "educated and informed consumer" a Salespersons worst nightmare.

  2. #2heavylift2012-11-04 21:05

    I try not to look at pdf's. Also blaring sound effects. that's why I have the sound turn off on the computer

  3. #3JD955SC2012-11-04 21:29

    I don't mind going to a dealership for more info and an upfront look at the machine but the nearest dealerships are often a good bit away...45 min to hour drive for most for me! We've got a Kubota and New Holland ag dealership here in town...and that's it. So swinging by the dealership is not an easy option.

  4. #4Huntoon2012-11-05 00:11

    As a web designer for our company's website, I can sympathize, somewhat. All the good information you put up would be used by your competitors against you. Maybe this only applies to smaller brands though.

  5. #5PhilDirt2012-11-05 00:16

    Seems like the worst sites belong to the very large companies. The one site I hate the most is USPS.com, when trying to ship something a customer wants shipped by priority mail. Our tax dollars at work. Grrrrrr...