Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Driving a just purchased truck home

ChevyKenworth ยท 2015-01-01 16:20

I plan on buying a dump truck I seen on craigslist and my question was what all I need to do to drive the truck home. The truck is in south Carolina so I wont have to cross state lines with it. Is there certain tags or permit out there for what im doing?

Replies12
  1. #1tuney4432015-01-01 16:37

    Very well could be but nobody can answer that yet because you didn't say what the truck's GVW is on the reggy and whether or not you have any type of CDL.

  2. #2ChevyKenworth2015-01-01 16:46

    The dump truck is a tri axle and I have a Class A CDL

  3. #3tuney4432015-01-01 16:56

    Sounds to me then that you're golden.Medical card valid?

  4. #4AllDodge2015-01-01 16:58

    Here is SC DMV so looks like your okey dokey http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/default.aspx?n=commercial_driver_licenses

  5. #5ChevyKenworth2015-01-01 17:17

    I was wanting to know what I needed on the truck to make it legal to drive home. If I put insurance on the truck what else do I need.

  6. #6Dualie2015-01-01 17:51

    on a new truck i had a employee get busted for no US DOT# and company name first trip out 15 miles from the dealer. IF all else fails just tape yours to the door or run theirs till you get back to the house

  7. #7mitch5042015-01-01 18:02

    In SC you have to put liability insurance on it, and a temporary tag. You can get a temporary tag from a dealer if you are buying from them or for $5 from your local DMV office. They just added this temporary tag BS a few years ago, and it seems kinda stupid to me. You have to take all the same paperwork to the DMV that you would to get an in-state tag, so why not just get the tag? Maybe the dealers put them up to it, so it would be easier to buy from a dealer than an individual? The dealer I deal with most will give me a tag to put on stuff I buy elsewhere, but I've bought 10 or 12 trucks from them. If it's a short drive, I'd probably make sure my insurance was right, and drive it home. The penalty for driving it uninsured is a high fine and suspension of your driver's license. The penalty for no temporary tag is about $100, no points and you might get a warning. In SC you can run with no DOT number or name on the door for thirty days, but, you CANNOT load it with out them. Good Luck

  8. #8ChevyKenworth2015-01-01 18:15

    The truck is about 3 hours away from where I live, will i have to pay the tax on the truck before I can get a temporary tag?

  9. #9mitch5042015-01-01 18:25

    nope, but you will before you can legally haul anything with it, though a friend of mine hauled loads on a temporary tag dead ahead for 44 days.

  10. #10ChevyKenworth2015-01-01 18:37

    When I go get the temporary tag what do I need to take with me?

  11. #11mitch5042015-01-01 20:27

    I thought you had to have the title, but, looking at the DMV website, it looks like you only need the year, make, VIN number, insurance info, and your drivers license.

  12. #12ChevyKenworth2015-01-11 19:08

    I got the truck home the other week, thanks for all the help mitch504. I did have to have the bill of sale or title to get a temporary tag.