Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Driving excavator down street

Dirtman2007 ยท 2008-02-19 20:41

I've got a job thats about 1/4 mile down the street from one I just finished. Due to the distance to get to the machine the lowboy wants $250.00 to move it. I think I'm just going to drive it down the asphalt road since it's not that busy. I'll put down plywood when I get on it and when I turn so It should not be a problem right?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies22
  1. #1mikef872008-02-19 20:47

    How heavys the machine? And whats the temperature? As long as it's below 75 i would do it. I've done it over a 1/4 mile before.

  2. #2Burnout2008-02-19 20:52

    Do er up... I was working for the city 2 years ago doing a watermain renewal job with the Daewoo 130, they had a watermain break in the middle of the night 5 miles down the road, instead of drivin the float all the way into the city to load it up and then take the long way around because of a low bridge, we just went there at 2am, fired up the machine and walked it down the road. A little hillbillyish, but since it was for the city they provided a blocker truck and no hassles!

  3. #3Dirtman20072008-02-19 20:58

    Its a volvo EC210 50,000 lbs with the 36" tracks. I'll just carry a leaf blower to clean the street off if it gets dirty. it'll be in the low 30's tomorrow morning.

  4. #4mikef872008-02-19 20:59

    o yeah you'll be fine. I walked one probably a mile and it took me 30 minutes.

  5. #5tylermckee2008-02-19 21:31

    Don't even need plywood as long as you are carefull when you turn. Doing road widening jobs we have walked excavators all over on roads and the track marks dissapear in a few days

  6. #6Reuben2008-02-19 21:50

    I walked our machine right through the middle of a development that is nick named "snob knob".It was about 1/2 mile never left any evidence that I went down the middle of the road.It was also summer.Being that it is winter I wouldnt hesitate at all.Dont get a speeding ticket.

  7. #7Eric2008-02-19 22:09

    Heck yeah do it. We walk our 312 and JD 160 on asphault all the time. Not as heavy as yours, but 30 degree weather is perfect walking weather.

  8. #8Special K2008-02-19 22:54

    I agree...plywood is probably not even necessary. We've walked D6's down paved streets using old conveyor belt material......if you've got the time, it's the most economical. If you act like you know what your doing and like your supposed to be there, most people won't know the difference!

  9. #9jimmyjack2008-02-20 18:50

    a boss i had at an old job always said " its easyer to ask for forgiveness than premission" when we did things like that

  10. #10dayexco2008-02-20 19:10

    street pads at up to 70 degrees? ii wouldn't worry about it, 1 rain shower and they'll never know you were there

  11. #11N.CarolinaDozer2008-02-20 19:15

    We have been working on a road project, and we move our trackhoe's down the road all the time. The NCDOT requires us to have a vehicle behind it with flashing lights. We usually have a sweeper behind it, but sometimes we just have a couple of us with square point shovels, and brooms. Just make sure to clean ur tracks out, and there should be no problem.:usa

  12. #12CascadeScaper2008-02-20 19:18

    I've done it, you'll have no problems when it's that cold. Back home the county and city says no steel tracked machines on paved surfaces, I stick my thumb on my nose and noodle at those clowns. I've walked across and turned on asphalt at 70+ degrees with no issues on older asphalt, you won't have any problems.

  13. #13Dirtman20072008-02-20 20:05

    No problem today, it was almost 1/2 mile, but not that bad. Just had the nice white drag marks on ever turn but that will disapear in a day or two. Yes I did stop at the stop signs LOL

  14. #14bobcat ron2008-02-20 21:21

    I clean ditches just about twice a year for about 2 months straight, 3/4 of that is on road ditching. All we ever do is walk it up and down the road, 1/4 mile is nothing, I've done 12 kms in one day just to pull a stump out of a ditch and walk back again.

  15. #15joedirt2008-02-20 22:42

    Glad that worked out for you Dirtman. Just wondering if any of you have tried using long 2 by 4's. We had to walk a couple of Komatsu pc200 down some new concrete about an eighth of a mile. We found the 2 by 4's worked easier and faster than using plywood. I guess one drawback was they were only good for about a mile of travel before they were completely shot. :my2c

  16. #16RKO2008-02-20 23:02

    Walking Excavator I just use old tires. Have a guy on each side moving the tires from the rear to front. Works good, you can turn and no one can tell.

  17. #17BIGBEN20042008-02-20 23:42

    I walked a 953C track loader down a alley in Rockville MD one time and made it half way down when up pulled the county inspector and Rockville inspectors. Let me just say my boss at the time told me to do it so he paid the fines. It was near $1,000 when all set and done. When we had to move it off the job we used allot of boards to not damage the blacktop and of course here came the same inspectors. They just laughed and said it looked as if I learned my lesson. I just laughed back and said my boss did. Oh by the way it was summer and about 90 F outside so I tore up the pavement pretty good.

  18. #18RollOver Pete2008-02-20 23:46

    That Volvo has brake lights Do the turn signals work

  19. #19Dirtman20072008-02-21 10:31

    no the volvo just has tail lights that come one when the headlights are one. no turn signals... thats why I had this truck follow me

  20. #20thejdman042008-02-21 16:00

    nice move glad it went ok

  21. #21RollOver Pete2008-02-21 23:03

    Here's yet another way to move your hoe. http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_TT43UayPw

  22. #22Burnout2008-02-21 23:24

    At least his 4 ways are on. Sad thing is, I have done that before. Just not on a public road.