Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Driving on the road?

cgraham1 · 2009-04-20 10:38

Yesterday I got busted for driving on the road! I live in a very small town where probably 10 other people do this on a regular basis, but the first time I leave my property I get pulled over, and the officer tells me I have to put it on a trailer even if I'm only going 1/4 mile up the road. What a pain in the butt!

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies33
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2009-04-20 11:13

    Ahh, the joys of living in CA. You should make a scouting trip in the car to see where the local man is before you try again. If he is close by then wait till he heads out the other way then hurry up and move it. Or be legal and get a trailer

  2. #2Deere John2009-04-20 15:44

    Really? Is a Slow Moving Vehicle sign not recognized in California?

  3. #3Cretebaby2009-04-20 16:54

    I was going to ask the same thing

  4. #4AtlasRob2009-04-20 17:35

    Does a " Slow moving Vehicle " sign generally negate all other road use requirements ? In the UK if you want to run it on the road, be it a 2t dumper, JCB 3cx, 25t ADT or Scraper it should be taxed, insured and have a number plate. A lot of folk mistakenly think that they are safe within a coned work area on the public highway but they are mistaken.

  5. #5salopez2009-04-20 18:13

    around here if you have hazzards, and a smv sign you are good to go...when you get closer to people we just run a truck behind with strobes...no worries.

  6. #6cgraham12009-04-20 23:01

    Seeing backhoes on the road is an everyday occurence around here. I have flashers, turn signals, and a horn, but the cop who pulled me over told me if I don't have a license plate I cannot drive on the road.:beatsme

  7. #7544D102009-04-20 23:09

    I wonder if this is purely and effect of the economy and his chief pressuring them to bust everyone for everything. (read:$$$$$$$)

  8. #8Russelln2009-04-21 00:04

    Welcome to California. First, Go to your Local Tractor supply or equivalent and pick you up on of those slow moving vehicle triangles. And mount it on the back of your tractor where is will be very viewable. Go to the State DMV dot gov and in the vehicle codes look up “Implements of Husbandry” and read all sections and print the ones off that pertain to you and stick them in your back pocket. Then check with your city and see if they have there own restrictions or if they follow the state guidelines and if they use the state guidelines, then Jump on tractor fire it up, make sure the yellows are flashing, turn the head lights on and go for it, and always pull over for faster vehicles. “Trust me that if you show respect to other drivers the CHP will be your best friend and they will make there quota and repair the state budget problems writing tickets to those that pass you illegally” Last, with your printed and read documentation, if a cop gives you a hard time, Just sign and meet him in court. I live in the central valley and we are overwhelmed with idiots, before I take off from the farm to the house or to a repair shop, I notify the city and the CHP of the planned time and route and I love it when they follow me, Hell sometimes I get a free escort thru town from the traffic division who can turn out 6 to 8 tickets on my route.

  9. #9Russelln2009-04-21 00:07

    It is recognized, You must have it mounted in the rear and very visable.

  10. #10cgraham12009-04-21 00:20

    Well, My Dad went down to the CHP office today and talked to a different officer. He said as long as a have a "slow moving vehicle" sign I can drive on the road. I spent about 2 hours searching the vehicle code book last night and I couldn't figure out what the hell most of those laws even meant, I suppose some of the officers probably have the same problem..... but anyways, the officer printed out the section and gave it to my Dad. He said to keep it in the tractor and if anyone else pulls me over I should show it to them and tell them where I got it. The funny thing is, this cop was kinda pissed that I even got pulled over in the first place.

  11. #11Russelln2009-04-21 00:23

    Just like i told you, Do what he says and get that plackard and enjoy.

  12. #12cgraham12009-04-21 00:56

    I guess I'll try it again... it would really suck to have to trailer it around town!

  13. #13Duke2009-04-21 11:27

    The issue in my area would be is a backhoe an "implement of husbandry" or is it a construction vehicle? I'm a construction company owner, so I have no excuse as an implement of husbandry. All that said, the cops just drive by me and wave hello. They really don't seem to care as long as you're not stupid enough to run the road during rush hour.

  14. #14bill onthehill2009-04-21 15:53

    Pa. likes to hit you for a "special mobile equipment" plate to run on the road. Some local twp. cops enforce it and others don't. However during a snowstorm nobody bothers you no matter what you are running. If it gets bad enough I have run a 953,d5 and other dozers for penndot. I always run a flashing beacon and all available lights when I am on the road. Hang a triangle off the back as well. Pull over and let traffic go by so you are not holding up a bunch of over anxious drivers trying to pass at bad spots and they will leave you alone.

  15. #15Duke2009-04-21 16:22

    I wonder if they charge you the same registration fee as an automobile when you buy the "special mobile equipment" tag? 6% tax is pretty salty.

  16. #16stock2009-04-21 17:07

    This is how its done over on this side of the pond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGkseGFQLh4 Can remember doing the same many many years ago with my Dad. Stock

  17. #17stock2009-04-21 17:16

    Or Check this out, it is illegal to drive any vehicle under 30mph on a motorway,and never a peeler around when you want one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhp9RlrfAn8

  18. #18bill onthehill2009-04-21 20:04

    Duke the tag is only $36.00 per year but you have to show proof of paying sales tax somewhere to get it. It is the old government gotcha at work.

  19. #19BigIron252009-04-21 20:16

    A license plate for a backhoe loader? haha i wonder if the cop was a newbie

  20. #20Russelln2009-04-21 21:04

    Some backhoes are AG here in California because we need them to dig out stumps for Walnuts, Almonds, Cherries and wine grapes for replants and Also Irrigation. But no one in my area has ever questioned it.

  21. #21cgraham12009-04-22 14:08

    :beatsme I think that was just his way of telling me that I can't drive on the road. I guess if they can't find any real criminals they can always bust the guys driving backhoes down the street?

  22. #22digger242j2009-04-22 15:15

    I seem to recall that the PA law specified that special mobile equipment couldn't be moved on road more than once a week. I googled around a little bit, and couldn't find that specific detail anywhere, but it does specifically say the on-road movement should be "incidental". It also speicifies that an "implement of husbandry" be used exclusively for farm work. While I was poking around, I did find this, (which is of course specific to PA, so other jurisdictions may well be different). In "Vehicles exempt from registration": It's nice to see that we here in PA are actually getting away with something that somebody else isn't. I'm surprised. (Although, now I wonder if I couldn't technically get in trouble for running a CTL up and down the street between the house I'm working on and the staging area half a block away.) One thing I didn't see, but do wonder about, is whether that special mobile tag now requires you to run road-taxed fuel. Any thoughts on that, bill onthehill?

  23. #23Burnout2009-04-22 16:03

    They still pull people over for running down the road with a T.L.B.? I put a good 4-5k miles a year on my tractor backhoe around london ontario for 2 years straight. I got pulled over twice, one was for driving down the road with a loader bucket full of broken asphalt and a chunk fell out near a cop car. I picked it up but it was a city job so he didn't seem too worried. The second time I got pulled over was a new rookie cop because I didn't have my 4 ways on, but I did have my beacon on. The second time it ended up biting him back because he accidentally gave me all 4 copies of the ticket. I had a 30 day time to produce so we went to the police reporting center and it turned into a show for the other officers seeing who screwed up. How does it work in the rest of the world? If you have your beacon on must you have your flashers on as well? I'm sure anyone with some time in Case Backhoes knows that the 4 ways aren't exactly known for working all the time.

  24. #24AtlasRob2009-04-22 16:57

    In the UK you have to be road legal, taxed ( my duck is £165 year) have number plates, insurance, beacon if travelling on a dual carriageway ( although they are required on site all the time so all plant has them anyway) and working lights. We do not travel with 4ways flashing. I have been stopped twice both times late at night and it was anti theft check rather than traffic check. Both times they were very apologetic but I said, no problem please stop it and check rather that than me loose it We have a problem with machines being used to ram raid cash points (ATM's) the damage they do is quite horrendous.

  25. #25stock2009-04-22 16:59

    Over here to be street legal any mechanically propelled vehicle must display a road tax disc (even if exempt) ie excavator lawn mower etc ,they must also have a rego plate displayed, and proper method of signals for other road users.Then finally one must be insured and hold a current drivers license for the weight of the equipment, e g a rubber duck requires a class c license (heavy rigid ) as a class W only covers you to 4.5 ton. Stock

  26. #26BigIron252009-04-22 19:48

    Its a sad day when the police have to come after honest hard working people for petty things like this. Of course if they have no other crime in the area thats a good thing but i just dont believe it.

  27. #27bill onthehill2009-04-22 20:58

    http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-spme.pdf It also state you are required to carry insurance.

  28. #28Duke2009-04-22 21:22

    That's exactly what I meant by "registration fee". You must pay the equivalent of 6% PA sales tax to get a license plate for a car. Same goes for a backhoe.

  29. #29Duke2009-04-22 21:24

    License plates on backhoes are not out of the ordinary in PA. Our state loves collecting revenues by taxing & licensing its' residents to death!

  30. #30cgraham12009-04-23 11:45

    I'm about a dollar away from being taxed right out of California!:crying

  31. #31Duke2009-04-23 12:43

    It's gonna get worse!

  32. #32stock2009-04-23 13:51

    Take that amount of tax, a crap health system and raining 365 day a year (nearly) then complain .At least you lot see the sun.

  33. #33Bellboy2009-04-24 09:27

    Basically all you need here is a license plate, license disk stuck on the front windshield, and a drivers license, preferably Ec1, for vehicles over 10 tons, just to be safe. You don't need the slow moving vehicle triangle, just a rotating beacon and hazards, and preferably some reflective tape too. oh, yes and very cute, the YouTube JCB