Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Backhoe – Mechanical Thumb ??

BigDog's Toys ยท 2009-04-17 20:57

I have a 580C and I am looking at adding a mechanical thumb. So far the one I am leaning towards is the Hoe-Clamp by Amulet...Any feedback? Anyone else tried these out or is there a different kind that would be better. I am clearing my property and moving stumps, logs.. that kind of wear and tear... Thanks!!

Replies13
  1. #1busdrivernine2009-04-18 01:25

    I have a guy that I do alot of hauling for and he has a homemade thumb on his Case thinkit is either a 580 or 590 not for sure, but a sweet machine for sure Told my wife that I sure would like one for Christmas . boy did i get the look and it was not a nice one either .

  2. #2CaptDave2009-04-27 16:12

    This fellow in Ontario has some pretty reasonably priced ones. http://cdp-backhoe.com/ When I get my Case 530 running I am getting, wife already said "go for it" She wants all the old brush and trees cleared up.

  3. #3coopers2009-04-27 17:24

    It's a good thumb. I had one on a 580B extendahoe. Very nice.

  4. #4amunderdog2009-04-27 18:37

    I had a grapple made for my old hoe. The price was steep but i really like it. Wish i had a better picture. I just changed to a bucket this morning, or i would take a better shot.

  5. #5ghitch752009-04-28 09:51

    i have a 580c extendahoe and i was wondering how it connects to the stick without getting in the way of the slide?....couldn't really tell in your pic....

  6. #6coopers2009-04-30 23:15

    Here you go ghitch. Look at the red circle. That's where it's welded onto the linkage.

  7. #7ghitch752009-04-30 23:39

    thanks coopers that clears it up......

  8. #8coopers2009-05-01 03:11

    I like the red tire on your hoe ghitch. Was that pulled off an old B or CK model? How you liking ur 580C minus the diff. lock issue? I love the C's. I like the new hoes but I grew up around the 580C and will pick one up (eventually) myself to use for light stuff here and there.

  9. #9skidrowe2009-05-01 06:18

    I have a Amulet hoe clamp on my Cat 426B , on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 9, the thing works great. I pick up boulders way bigger than I probably should with little problem. As for trees I dig on both sides of the tree and come up about 2-3 feet and push them over and grab them with the thumb, I bought mine on E-bay for $500 I LOVE IT

  10. #10BigDog's Toys2009-08-22 03:28

    Ok, we bought the thumb.. now to put it on tomorrow... any tips ???

  11. #11skidrowe2009-08-27 22:06

    Hey if you don't already have your thumb on a couple of hints might make it easier. First clean off as much grease as you can off your pin , pin hole in dipper because you will have to see to line up your dipper holes , bucket holes and thumb holes all at once. Also I used a piece of pipe a little smaller than your pin size to help line up the three pieces. It's a little tricky but you can do it. I have to do mine by myself, but if you can get help it will make it easier, then make sure to grease it up BIG time !!!

  12. #12jhatch302016-07-28 12:33

    Thumb I was wondering how rlthe thumb works is it mechanically move with the bucket trying to put a thumb on mine same exact machine

  13. #13Ironguy2016-07-29 13:36

    Geith make a good AR400 mechanical for the 580, doesn't have one for extendahoe though.