Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DRO for milling machine

farmerlund ยท 2019-04-02 19:30

Hey guys looking for a DRO for my Bridgeport. I don't need a real complicated setup. I would like the ability to set up holes in a perfect circle. PCD function I think its called? What's the better glass scales, magnetic? pros-cons. I have seen $150 kits and $1500+ kits I just want something decent and easy to use. Remember I am the weakest link in the operation. Was looking at some thing like this. Thanks for your help https://machinetoolproducts.com/ditron-d80-3-axis-mill-dro-kit-w-glass-scales

Replies6
  1. #1Wytruckwrench2019-04-02 19:57

    I got some $30.00 ones from amazon. Set three of them up on my mill. Simple and cheap.

  2. #2gtermini2019-04-04 12:08

    Newall with the magnet ball tube scales are very easy to install and hold up well against dirt/oil/grime I think DP500 is the lower function model. About $700. User interface is easy. I have DP700's on 6 mills in the machine shop. All hold thousandths easily. I never use PCD for bolt circles only because I've memorized the trig values for 3/6/12 and 4/8 patterns. Just zero on the center and don't worry about whether I keyed in something wrong. 3/6 is (X=.866*radius, Y=.500*radius) & holes at (X=0, Y=radius) 4 @90 deg straight is (X=radius, Y=0) & (X=0, Y=radius); 4@ 45 deg is (X=.707*radius, Y=.707*radius)

  3. #3farmerlund2019-04-04 13:42

    thanks gtermini, I will look in to them

  4. #4Rob Gunn2019-04-04 14:32

    I put one of these on my Bridgeport a year ago and so far no issues. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Axis-Dig...871423?hash=item2f2e65923f:g:ISAAAOSwYENcof7z

  5. #5Steve Bowman2019-04-11 03:58

    What did you end up choosing? The lcd units from dropros look very nice.

  6. #6farmerlund2019-04-11 10:50

    I discovered my Bridgeport is predrilled for a Acurite set up so I am thinking of using them. haven't ordered it yet.