Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Drott 40C Trackhoe

alexkcl ยท 2006-03-06 13:09

Does anyone know about these or where I could find info on it.

Replies10
  1. #1dayexco2006-03-06 14:07

    drott was bought up by J.I. Case company. i have thousands of hours sitting on 40's and 50's...great hoe for their day, and one feature they had that disappeared that i loved and wished some manufacturer would implement today again is the turntable leveler. worked wonderful when digging basements on sloping lots, or working on the side slope of a road ditch, etc. what kind of info you looking for?

  2. #2alexkcl2006-03-06 16:21

    How big is a 40C

  3. #3dayexco2006-03-06 16:48

    approx 40k lbs. they either had a detroit or case diesel on them. would dig approx 20'

  4. #4Ford LT-90002006-03-07 00:37

    It probably has a old screaming leaking Detroit as for buying a old Drott your probably better off leaving it be. Look for something newer you find a machine that is in the 80s like a old UH Hitachi or a old Cat your far better off.

  5. #5dayexco2006-03-07 10:37

    one nice thing about those old drotts.....is that undercarriage, hydraulic cylinder, final drive parts are available from any Case industrial dealer. the pumps, valving typically was either commercial shearing, or vickers products, also readily available. if you area looking at an older machine, i'd go with the drott, you'll buy it cheaper, and if repairs are needed, are far cheaper and chances are far more readily available locally than cat or hitachi products. i used to own a 200 hitachi, great machine, but found out very early on that you bought parts from the deere dealer if possible instead of hitachi dealer. MUCH cheaper.

  6. #6Willis Bushogin2009-07-13 21:17

    Drott I have owned 3 Drotts on the last 8 years, they are good OLD machines. They will do the work, just a little slower. As someone said, you can still get parts for them, new and used. You should be able to buy a Drott 40 for around $7-$10,000 the bad items with this machines are the engines and the drive motors and final drives. Make sure you check them out good, a Detroit engine, that is worn out has lots of oil residue, base compression, smoking and hard to start. If you get a good one, it will run forever, just noisy. Make sure both tracks, track good they will be slow, just make sure you can turn the machine, with a little effort. I think these machines are easier, to repair than the newer ones, with the complicated hydraulic systems and cheaper to repair, but you have to put up with it being slow. I have a friend that has a Drott 50D for sale, new motor, new bucket, new thumb, joy stick controls $13,500. Its located in NC, so the shipping would kill you Hope this helps

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2009-07-14 19:59

    Drott I forgot, to add, I have a parts book, if I can help with the parts info

  8. #8Robman19622011-05-20 09:43

    drott 50d help i have a old drott 50d that does'nt track strate can some one help with info?Im a good mechanic and have the tools to make the repairs.I'm just wondering what to check first. The sprocket and idlers are worn but the rollers are free and dont seem to be in bad shape.the hyd system seem to be working well and is farly strong it works all functions and seems strong. If I idel the eng and lift the boom the eng will load up.using this as a polimary ckeck tells me that the pump is working ok. I'm thanking drive motor?

  9. #9Willis Bushogin2011-05-20 16:21

    this probably not going to help, but coming from someone that has owned 3-Drott 40's and 2-Drott 50's (yea I know, I should have learned my lesson, from the first one) I have never had one that would track straight Things to check Lift one side up with the boom and either time the rotations on the track, or just look at how fast it turns, then compare it to the other side a. if one side is slower than the other, I would either switch the motors from each side to the other, or make up hose to cross them b. does it still track slow, or did the off tracking change sides 1. if it changed sides, I would guess the motor is weak If it didnt change sides, these machines are bad for the pinon bearing going out a. a good way to check this is to lift one side up and rotate the track and see if the track motor moves/wiggles. if it wiggles, pull the motor and pull the pinion shaft out. Its been a few years since I did one, but you dont have to pull the final drive, but you do have to break the track. HUMMMM hope you have a torch If you dont see anything wrong, you might have to put up with it. I would tell you to insall a pressure gauge inline, but I dont remember what the pressure should be I think I still have a service manual for a Drott 50D, if you need one, you can send me a PM and I will let you know what I want for it I also have two joysticks, one that was leaking and another that I bought for a spare Maybe some of this will help, these machines will drive you crazy, especially the track system and rollers. I bought 10 good used rollers to good in my machine, but I sold the machine before I used them. Just for info, I think the bottom rollers off of and older Cat D5 are about the same Good Luck

  10. #10Robman19622011-05-20 17:15

    Thanks for the info, I'll try those checks and see what happens.I may be interresteed in that service manual shoot me a email [email protected] thanks PS,I do have a big tourch