First I would like to say thank u for your time I have been in this field of work for years I got a call the other day asking me to come look at a cruz 40 wheel excavator that was parked 5 years ago with no problems so they say lol I went over yesterday to go take a look to see what I was getting myself in to with it sitting so long and keep in mind I have never ever laid a hand on a tire excavator i get there and was shocked everything around it wasn't all over grown and was right on the edge of a field that gets flooded at times I asked the owner of the field if at anytime the water level had ever submerged any part of machine he said no .I had some time to spare looked it over changed the battery out with my spare and so on about a hour later it was running nice and smooth I got up in the cab ran the stick/boom a few times to see how it would all react no bog nice and smooth as it should so I returned the hoe to the transport position so I could check the rest out I tried to move it forward first nothing no bog or drop in rpm what so ever so i tried reverse still nothing like I said I have never laid my hands on a tire excavator before I see it has a 2 stick trany on the right side of seat I don't no if I missed something or a safety or did things out of order as it was wen I opened the cab door I was surprised to see as much as I did for a 1902 nostalgic dinosaur I'm kidding LOL I don't even no the year yet if I was to guess I would say late 70s early 80s I'm going to be going back over there today to see if I can figure it out and do a hydo pressure test I did see a few things in the cab that looked to be missing like a little light and a hole for a switch maybe .Not fare apart if u were sitting in the cab those holes are off to the right knee hight and above those 2 holes set over a bit is a valve which I'm sure is a air valve that is for drive system to drive it down the rd along with a lever if u were to reach behind u with your left hand wen sitting in cab like I said I have never worked on one and most likely its something stupid I'm missing if anyone can help in anyway way it would be great and much appreciated or if anyone has the service manual along with the users manual or just one of them anything would help so I'm not spending a bunch of time going over the whole drivetrain system one component at a time just to figure it out how the system is setup thats keeping me from driving it thanks
I've been around a few cruz air drotts a while back. Worked around them, not on them. Your's is a bit older than I saw and that was a while ago. I can't help much, but the first thing I'd check is the controls, they were known to be a rats nest for controls, and age doesn't help anything. The hydraulics and transmission will survive years of neglect better than the wiring. Really you're better off waiting to find a manual than trying to figure out the system the hard way. Unless this has to move or it's scrapped at the end of the week type of situation. Some test leads and a multimeter are the tools I'd use, or buy a power probe for this. A little googling shows Drott was bought by Tenneco/Case in 68, I'd bet your's is just prior to 68.
It's been a 100 years since I've worked on a Drott machine. I'm trying to remember about the swivel in the center of the machine that puts power down to the drive system. Some later ones like the 880 cruz airs had electrical swivels that provided power down to tranny and stabilzers circuits. I think the older ones had air swivels on them and needed air pressure to work the transmission control valves. But of course I could be way off base here and you could just have cables that control every thing. Upload a pic of area just behind boom please and maybe I can help from there.
At the poster's request, this post has been removed. I couldn't take the time to read it, but as explained in the posts following, apparently it was dictated into his phone, and posted inadvertently. It seems as though the important parts have been included in the posts that follow, so there's no real loss of continuity to the thread. To Arthur, I apologize for not getting to this sooner, but I only saw your report of it this morning and didn't have time to handle it at that time. ~Digger242j
paragraphs please, paragraphs make a long post so much easier to read. I guess I was off by a few decades on my earlier post. I stick with the 68 era, just the electrical didn't come in until decades later. It sounds like you have mostly air controls. I'd guess the controls are minimal and basic, not much of safety anything that is. Figure out roughly how many air controls are on the transmission, and what they do, and decide which ones should work then test them to see if they're getting air, then if they're operating with that air. Something like this, it helps to get as good an understanding as you can, then step back and think about it a while. Don't try to bumble through it tired and frustrated. Get the manual if there is one available anywhere.
Again I'm sorry it made myself look like someone that shouldn't even be talking about equipment this damn technology of these phones I'm just getting in I went back after my service call
Don’t feel bad we’ve all done stuff like that. BTW the Case 880 Cruz Air was the same machine give you another manual to look for
Omg I still can't believe how that got posted makes me want to pull out and start ripping up all my certs starting with my mast tech cert The machine is a 1977 (disc) cruz-air 40 model # 40-YR Ser#1798 With a Detroit After getting back I started right at the front with the motor at the air compressor and followed the air lines to end checking for ware and routing along the way to cab ware the rubber lines transfer over to metal lines and come to find out they end and are caped off odd so it must have been a add on don't matter air is out. #1 down but still keeped it in mind Went back to the front at motor and started checking the wiring and harness what little there is in the engine compartment i found 1 old burnt out ground mostly got hot because of location it was cut and left by someone else I no it runs good and components are working and putting out as they should good voltage 13.3. Regulater working because of voltage drop for start up engine compartment check # 2 down All finish here for now Here are some pictures and all finish tomorrow
Feel free to add any info or any problems u have ever ran it to dealing with components
Ok thank u I just wish I wasn't right out straight with all my service calls coming in I really do like working on these older models especially ones I have never worked on before just to see how much different thing operate some are good designs and very well engineered and some very **** poor designs I like the challenge of figuring them out I really do hate that the thought keeps coming up just to rip all that junk out and run a couple wires and switchs and be done with it because I'm so busy I enjoy hearing from the older service techs and operators it helps me from taking the easy way out listening to what you guys have to say and all your knowledge that you had with them
Thank u I added some pictures for everyone feel free to share any kind of information or problems u have had over the years I can never take in enough information and its great to be passing it along to another generation
Its a 1977 Thank u I have all the testing equipment u mentioned and multiple others
Be sure and test your electrical swivel and your shift solenoids and all grounds. Good luck, and let us know how things go.
I will thank u
I see to recall the engine throttle and brakes worked on air, transmission controls were electric and the outriggers were manual and only worked with you turned the house away from the engine compartment to one exact spot. I remember unloading one of those things off a trailer with no brakes and there was a manual valve that would reverse the steering wheel control to ease running long distances in reverse. As I recall the swivels were always the biggest problems with those machines. There was an air swivel on top, then the electrical swivel and finally the hydraulic swivel on the bottom. We used to use a lot of brake clean and ether to wash the greasy mess out of the electrical swivel when the gremlins started to surface. The air swivels were simple and just used O rings for seals. States and municipalities were the biggest users of these things and most didn't get many hours on them. After about three years of use the leaks started and the gremlins were showing up all the time in the electrical systems. Most that I know of ended up like this one with vegetation growing over them.
I know I am late to this party, but I will try to help out. To start, thank you for the pictures, brought back memories of sleepless nights, new swear words learned, copious amounts of beer consumed, keeping 5 of those running. My dad had bought the first DROTT in Canada (p.s. it was powered by a Ford industrial gas engine) all his later ones had Detroits. First thing I noticed someone did you a solid and changed the electrical swivel to a cut down version of a 1085C swivel, that means the parts can be found. That steel tube running down the center of the swivel looks like a modified version of the later model (40B) shift tubes. Accelerator and brake, pretty inventive! The transmission is a Reverse-O-Matic, new parts are getting rare as hen's teeth, but they were used in just about everything rolling from packers to small cranes. the electric shift solenoids haven't been available new since the mid-90's, Trombetta makes one that will fit with a little modification. And being a later model ('77), it will have the larger torque converter. In the cab, the ball valve is the throttle lock, one push button on the dash box is the parking brake, I THINK all that is still available thru Mico. One of the other push buttons is the start, don't trust them, they are evil, install another in the engine doghouse. You likely have already found the shift/outrigger fingers that extend below the upper-works of the cab have been welded numerous times, that's usual (go ahead and ask me how I know HAHAHAHA please refer to the first part of my post) One more thing, Drotts are the only machine I have run across that the pin clearance was in the pin. In other words, a 2" pin is actually 1.990" and the bushing bore is true 2" All in all they were a pretty solid machine for their time, when my dad shut down his company we were selling off Drotts with 25,000 hours on the clock. Again, thanks for the memories, stay safe! I think I am going to go curl up in the corner in a fetal position remembering all of this, WOW Hope this helps
Brother I know where you are coming from on those old Drott 40's I worked on a few of them myself along with the 88R's and the later Cruz-Air machines. They were all a nightmare to deal with.
Well, If this was a Drott 1800 crane I could help. I saw alot of those in the early 80's..........still have a service manual somewhere I believe. Might take me weeks to find it.
I worked on a few of the Carry Decks before.
I have inherited a machine exactly like this. I know very little about it. I had it running last fall, but then the weather changed and I haven't been back to it since. I have alot of questions as to the controls. Would anyone have a diagram or a layout of what all the pedals/sticks do? At the rear side of the seat, there are also a couple hydraulic levers, that I am confused over. Any help would be appreciated. After this unit is running and mobile, I have a little newer model to figure out.
You might start with a model and serial number and possibly a couple of photographs.
Sorry. I believe it is a late 60s(possibly a 68) cruz air 40
This is the second machine that I will be trying to revive. It hasn't ran for a few yrs, but it does crank over nice. The fuel lines are rotten, and will need to be replaced, but other then that, seems to be in *ok* condition.
Welcome to HEF I would like to see a photo of the controls please. It's been a while since I've messed with these so send me a pic.
They are above. Two compound handles for the boom, bucket, stick and swing. Has the manual transmission shift when the house is in the right place. Outriggers are electrical. I don’t know if it has the steering shift valve from the photos.
I will try and get some better pics next week. The unit is back in my hometown, and I am about 5hrs away. My dad used these machines right up until he was no longer able to climb into them(approx 4yrs ago). I don't really have much need to put them to work, but would really like to keep them alive and running, for the nostalgia
Well.......that old 40 brings back memories (shudder...) The factory control pattern is R/H stick is hoist, the L/H stick is crowd, The R/H pedal (closest to the steer tube) is swing, the L/H pedal is bucket. The pattern can be changed. The 2 sticks beside the seat operate the trans shifter when the machine is facing forward and the outriggers when over the back. Notice the bent rod under the front of the seat, put your heel on it, 2 fingers (attached to the shifters) are dropped out of the upperworks and enter a couple of pockets in the lowerworks. There are cutouts in the slew bearing, allowing this. IMPORTANT! Do NOT step on that rod if the upperworks is moving. That breaks the fingers, then you're dad will make you spend half the night welding them back together....... only happened once.....think i was 15. (did i say that out loud, sorry) Behind/beside the seat is a steering reverse valve. Don't let anybody move that when you are trying to get into a back yard to dig a pool with a garage on one side and a very large tree on the other (did i mention I was 15?) The second machine with the brusher looks like a 40B. shifters are controlled with cables and bell cranks thru the swivel, outriggers are electric, drive train and hydraulic controls are basically the same. Thanks for the memories, hope this helps.
Well, I got the old yellow girl fired up and mobile. Runs nice, and everything seems to function as it should. I started to tinker on the second machine. Replaced fuel lines, bled the system, and it fired right up. I had it rotating and swinging. Clam seems to function. I do have a few questions about controls on this one also. I understand the outriggers are controlled by switches. It only has the rear outriggers, none on the front. I assume the 2 rocker switches(will upload photo), control the outriggers. The lone switch, I assume is for the transmission(f/n/r), and can only be functioned when idled down? What about the red button on the left stick? If I push it, I can here a solenoid/relay click under the switch panel. Anyone have any ideas?
40B, the rocker switches are the outriggers, the lone switch is trans and the red button is for fast hoist. That strokes a spool diverting the oil from the valve bank with the stick to the valve bank that controls hoist, Basically double pump to the hoist.
The newer machine has a reverse o matic trans 12000series. I got it moving, but it seemed to lack power to move itself around. I am away from the machine for awhile again, but was thinking, is there a hi/low on this trans, or is it just forward/reverse? Thanks!
If the newer machine is a 40B, it should have a Funk reverse o matic with a separate drop box. Later models have a Clark T12000. Just look where the hydraulic pumps are, in the front, Funk trans, if in the back, (on converter housing) Clark. Used to have a lot of converter problems with the early ones. There is a range and speed shift on all models
I am not near the machine, but it is a funk trans. In the cab there is only a switch for f/n/r. Would it be a manual lever on the trans for hi/low? Sorry for the questions, but the 5hr drive back had me thinking, but I never had a good chance to look
No worries, with a fnr, it is a funk, the drop box(funk also) has a speed shift (think 1 and 2) and a range shifter (think bull low and road speed) The trans is bolted directly to the converter bell housing. None of the gears in the drop box have syncros, that is why the de-clutch/trans neutral pedal (extreme right pedal) is used down the road. You look like a real hero..... when you a tooling thru the city.... in rush hour traffic..... shifting into second......trying to change lanes....turn signals don't work so you swing the boom over to slow traffic to your right..... Everybody signaled that I was #1 Did I say me.....no that was another guy.... did it until the local law enforcement saw that and gave me, I mean the other guy, a stern/loud talking to on a Friday afternoon. Hope this helps
Forgot to mention, we found the Funk's work best with Dextron II, adding an extra cooler in the rad package goes a long way to extend the transmission oil life, Before adding the coolers we were changing trans oils 4 times a year, and rebuilding 2 trans/torques per year in the fleet. Changed to a 12 inch torque also (most came with 11") We actually found a bunch of surplus hydraulic coolers and bolted them in front of the rads. I had installed a temp gauge in the exiting output of the cooler, found that when roading uphill, the trans temp would actually approach 250F. something to think about.
I appreciate all the help. I assume there will be a mechanical lever on the trans, because I didn't see anything in the cab?
That is so funny and in my mind I can see it actually happening.
Morning, The shifters are in the cab, took a closer look at your cab pictures, somebody has removed the shifting tower, it should have been just forward of the air pressure gauge. Short levers, about 10", actuate a pair of cables running to the swivel. If you look at the drop box on the left hand side there are 2 shift levers. 1 for range and 1 for speed, 3 positions each, centre is neutral on both. Think the lower one is the range shifter, easy enough to test and find out. REMEMBER, the machine will roll, have the park brake on and the boom firmly placed on the ground. Speaking from experience.... of "somebody else" Lawd I was a walking talking OSAH violation when I was young. And John..... that was "somebody else"......... and my father would't let that "somebody else" forget it........for about 20 years...... about that and so much more LOL Awwwww such a wasted youth, lucky to have survived it...... without a record.... Hope this helps, and possibly puts a smile on your face