Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX300LC-2

Ray Lester · 2018-09-13 19:22

Got a Hitachi EX300, Isuzu engine. Many times when I turn the key to “start” I get a click sound that comes from near the batteries. Other times the engine turns over and starts normally. I recently installed a new ignition switch. I’ve still gotten the click a few times. Talked with the service department of the local Hitachi dealer. He said the click sounds like the start relay is working but the start solenoid is not engaging all the time and allowing the starter to rotate. Does this sound right? How do you check the start solenoid?

Replies8
  1. #1bunkclimber2018-10-17 13:52

    check batteries for proper voltage,..have an assistant sit in the op seat and turn the key switch, use a digital multimeter to check for DC voltage on the solenoid terminal.Check bolted battery connections for tightness,of course make sure connections are clean,that can lead to problems too. After that check solenoid DC resistance to ground or chassis to see if you have an open coil in your solenoid. Could also be as simple as a worn-out key switch..think of how many times that switch has turned!! If there are any connections/connectors inbetween there can be issues with contacts burned up,corrosion,etc..just a few things to look for.FWIW,best of luck

  2. #2BigWrench552018-10-17 14:03

    Hitachi has battery disconnect tied into the ignition. That’s the click you hear when you turn on the key. I believe it’s in the compartment with the batteries. I hope that will help you.

  3. #3mg23612018-10-18 05:31

    If everything checks out from the above steps from Bunkclimber and Paul, then maybe look at the starter protection circuit. Deere/Hitachi machines have a starter protection relay that prevents the starter from turning if the engine is running.

  4. #4bunkclimber2018-10-18 07:53

    even with a new 'ignition' switch I'd still go thru the whole electrical signal path,Ive seen new switches bad right out of the box..stumped me good..just good practice not to assume anything..Standard, Cole Hersee and Pollak have good service products but anything should be suspect anymore with a global replacement parts market.

  5. #5Jakex1202018-10-18 23:47

    When it has started in the past, did it crank very slow.?

  6. #6joeblow2018-10-28 20:08

    Check the safety relay on the side of the starter.It is there to prevent you from engaging the starter when the engine is running.

  7. #7Jakex1202018-10-28 22:38

    My Hitachi had similar problems a few months into ownership. Went through some of the same checks mentioned here but in the end turned out to be the starter just needing a rebuild..good luck to ya!

  8. #8asleiman2018-12-26 21:02

    I have EX 300 LC 3 C, had similar problem and actually melted the battery post.( this is posted here a while back) I took off all the relays cable and connectors , cleaned real well with a grinder really shined the metal. it started like charm. it is just corrision on the cable connections. hope it help