Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dt239 engine from TD8e

Edc · 2023-04-13 05:41

Hello everyone, I got this old TD8e that had a engine with a thrown rod and two big holes in the block. I managed to get and old dt239 in working condition. The engine I got has a different main pulley. I am referring to the pulley that attaches to the crankshaft. -The pulley from the engine in the machine has -what I belive- piece of heavy material attached to it that acts as a balancer. - The pulley from the engine I got does have a pulley but the pulley does not have the extra weight. It is just a regular pulley. Everything alines perfectly and the pulley is about .5 inches bigger in diameter. I did not have a puller to replace the pulley at the moment but I can always replace the pulley with the old one anytime. -my question is: Does enyone know if I have to replace this pulley with the one with the weight? Or is it that some dt239 came with out the weighted pulley in the newer machines? I am afraid to replace the pulley because I don't know if I will be hurting the new engine. Thanks in advance.

Replies3
  1. #1Acecadet2023-04-13 07:15

    My book for the DT239 in my TD8E shows 3 different part numbers for the internal balancer and refers to the individual data plate for the external balancer on the engine. I would say to leave the engine balancer alone. I’m pretty sure it was balanced as an assembly so just run what you have on there.

  2. #2Edc2023-04-13 19:57

    Ok perfect! Thanks.

  3. #3Dave Neubert2023-04-13 20:08

    AGREE with Edc leave the pully that came with engine.