Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6N Cooling System Flush

Hunter013 · 2023-04-13 07:36

I've got a D6N with a 3126B that needs new injector sleeves. Lots of diesel in the cooling system. What is the best way to flush the cooling system? I heard purple power degreaser works well. What should I dillute that with? Or what other options work well? How many flushes should I do? Do I just get the engine up to operating temp with the cleaning formula, drain, refill and repeat till clean?

Replies7
  1. #1ahart2023-04-13 08:19

    I have never used purple power for flushing a cooling system, I usually use cascade dish washing detergent powder and fill with water, run up to temp for a period and drain, repeat until all petroleum is out of cooling system. After that I’ll usually run straight water a few times before refilling with coolant.

  2. #2Nige2023-04-13 10:03

    Cascade or the equivalent seems to work the best.

  3. #3CM19952023-04-13 10:05

    Cascade. My Cat dealer even has Cascade on the shelf in the misc parts and truck area.

  4. #4Hunter0132023-04-13 13:08

    How many scoops of cascade should I use?

  5. #5Nige2023-04-13 14:42

    Liquid detergent will work best because it dissolves easier. Just make sure that whatever detergent you use is non-foaming. Mix at about 1:25 or 1:30 ratio. You will probably have to do the cleaning process more than once before flushing with clean water.

  6. #6Hunter0132023-04-13 15:19

    Understood. Thank you

  7. #7greasynails2023-04-14 07:15

    Cascade works OK, but personally I've found the Fleetguard Restore works better. Don't use the Restore Plus as it's geared to remove heavy scale and rust. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/eme/sites/cumminsfiltration-empty.bitnamiapp.com.eme/files/LI33024GB%20Restore%20-%20Restore%20Plus%20rev.%203%20march%202020.pdf