I am going to start an inframe rebuild of a dt466 in my 1989 IH S1900 this weekend. I'm getting coolant in the oil and I'm pretty sure that the o-ring at the bottom of the cylinder sleeves has gone bad. Are there any pointers you have for me? Anything to look out for? This is my first diesel rebuild ever, although I've done many gas engine rebuilds before.
As long as you have a manual and some special tools you should be ok. Make sure you liner prtrousion is in spec.
Dt466 is a great engine and really simple to rebuild. Like nowing said, just have a manual and take your time.
Make sure to inspect or replace the oil pump, check out the turbo, and don't forget the poor cam bearings! If the engine was run for any length of time with coolant in the oil, the bearings will deteriorate, you will see when you start pulling her apart (Pitting/flaking) Also I've had very poor luck with genuine Navistar valves, I had two break at the keeper groove on separate jobs... Not good... After that I had the machine shop source aftermarket valves and never had a problem. Have fun they are a great little engine!