Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dual auxiliary lines/ports,, needed or a nice to have?

Bodaway · 2023-12-15 07:25

I'm looking to buy a new Kubota KX057-5. I would "like" to have two aux lines, but I'm not sure if they are needed or not. I can see where they would be useful for either an attachment that needs two. Very novice excavator user. Will be use on the farm to clear trees, brush and other farm waterway/creek work. My guess is I will put less than 100 hours a year on it. Are two auxiliary lines needed or can a fellow get along just fine with one set?

Replies5
  1. #1Tags2023-12-15 21:52

    One set is fine but two sets are better. You may never use them both but if you had to you would appreciate the 2nd set. For example- if you have the machine fitted with a thumb you wouldn’t have to disconnect the thumb to use another attachment like a tilt bucket, hammer, mower, compactor, etc…it is really a matter of convenience and the resale will be better. You can get away with one set for sure, two sets just gives you more options. Also, one set may have a higher hydraulic flow output than the other.

  2. #2bigboytoy2023-12-16 07:57

    I hate the flat face quick connects they have issues and should of never left the drawing board ... I have a better solution ... buy 2 way high pressure ball valves .. mount lower on boom ... I switch from till bucket to thumb with a quarter turn ... its too easy .. once I remove the tilt bucket its just an open JIC male I could cap it if I want I don't .. I took the $35 3 way valve its metal and welded it to a thick 2"x2"x 1/2" plate to raise it and then to the boom .. engineers are over the top on the quick connectors idea .. hoses build up pressure if you removed them when it was cold and then the ambient temperature raised putting pressure behind the quick connector making it difficult if not impossible to get it to snap on...

  3. #3Bodaway2023-12-16 17:20

    Thanks for the replies, I pulled the trigger on a new machine, but only has one set of Aux lines. Hope I don't regret it a few years from now. I've done the flat face connector tussle before and I agree, it's no fun. My SVL 65 has a relief feature where you push in on the connector and it releases the pressure, great option.

  4. #4KSSS2023-12-18 00:56

    The two sets are mandatory for me now that i have a machine that has them. One set goes to the thumb and set at a PSI setting that allows it to give to the bucket, the other set for attachments that is cranked up to run mulcher and other attachments. You don't realize what you have been putting up with until you realize that turning your aux. hyd down to give to the bucket kills performance on other attachments. Having the second set PSI turned up to 3K or 3.5 K makes a big difference on certain attachments.

  5. #5IceHole2023-12-18 02:16

    I imagine it'll depend it you use the excavator like it's a skid steer with a bunch of attachments. My Hitachi requires the pins be hammered out to change buckets. Not that I have 2 anyhow.