Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dual stacks?

J.L · 2025-06-30 10:08

I was wondering if anyone has any intel on/of a dual stack setup on and international workstar series truck???

Replies40
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-06-30 12:24

    Not much for that series, I don't think IH even offered it and if they did it would be ridiculously expensive.

  2. #2mekanik2025-07-01 08:23

    We had a brand new Peterbilt in the shop a few months back. It had dual stacks but the left side was not connected. It was just cosmetic and extra weight.

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-07-01 11:09

    Common--folks have this thing about balanced look, KW does the same.

  4. #492U 34062025-07-01 11:37

    I love symmetry as much as anyone else but I'm also practical. I think the uselessness of a stack installed with zero functionality would bother me far more than just having a single stack.

  5. #5Jumbo2025-07-01 11:49

    I want a single stack on the passenger side. Over the years I've driven enough trucks with no mufflers and want all noise as far away from me as possible. Actually, straight out the hood isn't bad either. A dummy exhaust? Shows how long I've been out from behind the wheel. (Or led a sheltered life) I've never heard such a thing.

  6. #692U 34062025-07-01 11:54

    I think KW started doing that with the newer cabs (2.1M?). First time I saw it was around 2015 when the rental outfit I worked for bought a new T-880.

  7. #7Acoals2025-07-01 12:40

    The only thing dumber than one fake stack is two . . . View attachment 1000001395.jpg And he still has to worry about branches hanging up the stacks . . .

  8. #8Pops522025-07-01 13:16

    I despise twin stacks even more than dishwashers…..

  9. #9Truck Shop2025-07-01 13:17

    I have always liked the idea of one stack, if a turbo had two exhaust ports then yes. Less weight, less leaks, less maintenance, less money. * Plus it bugs people with OCD.

  10. #10Truck Shop2025-07-01 13:18

    Is that the type with two hands or with a cord?

  11. #11Pops522025-07-01 13:21

    The corded machines

  12. #12Pops522025-07-01 13:27

    The last new truck I bought, 05 Pete in my avatar, had twin stacks. I couldn’t get it with one so I had them move them more to the rear of cab.

  13. #1392U 34062025-07-01 13:43

    It's gotta be on the RH side. Once every blue moon or two I see a truck with a single stack on the left and it looks so weird.

  14. #14J.L2025-07-01 13:57

    let me clear something up, not interested in a dummy/fake stack......I'm interested in twin live stacks/exhaust/pipes. I was curious to see if anyone has or has seen this on an international workstar series truck.

  15. #15Truck Shop2025-07-01 14:31

    Anything can be done almost, I figure you will more than likely have to fab/piece together your own. I've built custom exhaust system for several, it's a job. I checked on your truck and have turned up zero, not that there isn't but I found nothing.

  16. #16cuttin edge2025-07-02 18:49

    Aftermarket maybe. Y pipe and some flex.

  17. #17DMiller2025-07-02 19:15

    My 05 Kdub is REAL LIVE Twins. Cost enough to get all the pieces to put back on. Upper stack mounts were Both on cab as got it.

  18. #18Truck Shop2025-07-02 19:45

    On any Kenworth with B cab 600, 800, 900 anytime the transmission is removed it's wise to change the flex pipe while it's wide open right along with the foot valve. It's a total pita other wise. Flex marked below. *

  19. #19DMiller2025-07-02 20:12

    And don’t I KNOW this! Considered Delete on L Side, Torx headed seized in place bolts would NOT EVEN move.

  20. #20Truck Shop2025-07-02 21:15

    Because Tate and others that Gayle & I worked on had T800's and all the gear box/clutch work we were constantly replacing exhaust. I knew the exact length for each piece of flex pipe in each location, only installed stainless flex and only used Torqtite stainless clamps. No pre-formed clamps those are crap.

  21. #21DMiller2025-07-03 19:38

    Is what I used here.

  22. #22Tenwheeler2025-07-03 21:44

    I love the Snap On truck that comes here with duel 6 in stacks. It has a weed burner DPF under it. As for real duels look at Heavy Duty exhaust on line catalog and make your own.

  23. #23DMiller2025-07-04 05:41

    Had a pretty severe Growl harmonic in the KW exhaust as got it completed. Blew it off quite awhile where was told was expected. Since then rotated stack extensions 45 degrees to rear as well was mulling the cab air ride adjustment, just could not get out of my head. Aired truck and measured cab height at bag support, disconnected adjustment link and attempted to raise the bags further, would not move so lowered bags to No Air and measured. Reduced the link length by 3/8” and reinstalled, cab moves ever so subtle amount as enter/exit now. Shock was at full extend and near to a solid mount as it was. Growl harmonic reduced by close to half value.

  24. #24cuttin edge2025-07-04 08:12

    Back when I first had my truck license, the boss son has kenworth with 8 inch straight pipes. I thought it sounded awesome as a young fella. I used to love hitting the Jake. I took it for a few days on the high way. Think that's why my ears ring now

  25. #25cfherrman2025-07-05 09:01

    Since I never drive a sleeper I want the exhaust behind the cab, so you can see better in your mirrors

  26. #26DMiller2025-07-05 11:54

    Not ever had mirrors that close to Cab!!

  27. #27Truck Shop2025-07-05 13:26

    KW makes/offers a extended bracket that is about 3" longer, only ever seen a few.

  28. #28DMiller2025-07-05 14:53

    My own stand off well past the bunk.

  29. #29Welder Dave2025-07-07 17:05

    This is kind of related to the topic. Some people used to claim single exhaust had more torque than dual exhaust or vice/versa and one type had more HP. I wouldn't think it would make much difference as long as the exhaust was sized properly for the flow but I don't know much about exhaust systems. Is there any truth to these myths about one type being better for torque or HP or is it just an old wife's tale?

  30. #30mekanik2025-07-07 17:16

    I doubt it. Kenworth used a more free flowing muffler on a single unit than a dual exhaust back before the DPF became part of the exhaust system.

  31. #31DMiller2025-07-07 17:40

    NO Muffler on Aftertreatment systems, Unnecessary.

  32. #32cfherrman2025-07-07 18:11

    Big exhaust = better high rpm power but worse low rpm power Small exhaust = better low end power but worse top end power I don't think it matters on a big truck that much really but have nothing to back it up with

  33. #33Welder Dave2025-07-07 20:27

    I could see if an exhaust system is undersized or the muffler is too restricted to lose some power but can't see there being much difference in an engineered system. Of course there are always the guys that think huge exhaust stacks are cool. Much more common on diesel pick ups though. I'd get tired of the noise if I had an extra loud pick up.

  34. #34cfherrman2025-07-07 22:48

    Funny you mention a pickup, I have a clapped out 5.4 that has dual 3" exhaust on it and you can really see the difference in low end power, and it's extremely loud, I'm going to put on an exhaust from a newer pickup because I have it, it effects towing too much

  35. #35Acoals2025-07-12 05:11

    This is a serious Heavy Equipment Forum and here you are using the words "towing" and "power" in the same sentence as "5.4" . . .

  36. #36cfherrman2025-07-12 18:54

    It does better at power and towing than my minivan

  37. #37BearCreekGravel2025-07-27 21:52

    Made my own for my 94 377. Mounted it to the headache rack to get rid of the drone in the cab. 12.7 with straights is pretty darn loud on the Jake’s. And I love not having the stacks in the factory spots for visibility.

  38. #38Truck Shop2025-07-27 22:16

    This is loud with 349 jakes, no resonator 7". *

  39. #39Truck Shop2025-07-27 22:23

    And even with a resonator these 6" were beyond horrible. *

  40. #40Truck Shop2025-07-28 01:42