Good day all! I have a 1990 Ford F800 dump truck with an automatic transmission and want to make sure I'm using the dump correctly. The truck is only used personally, no hired hauling. Next to the driver seat is a pull knob to engage the PTO and a lever to raise or lower the bed. To operate I was told to put truck in neutral, pull the knob to engage the PTO and then use the lever. The PTO works, but it grinds when I pull the knob to engage, it seems to already be spinning, is that normal? Again, its an automatic transmission, and I put the truck in neutral and apply the air brakes before pulling the knob to engage the PTO. Am I missing a step? I feel quite stupid at the moment. Thanks for any help.
Hello. Welcome to the HEF. You want to leave it in gear, foot on brake, engage PTO and shift back to neutral.
Thank you! I'll try it the right way when I get back to the truck and reply back! This has not been my week, set back after set back but I really appreciate your comment.