Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

duallies to singles

90plow ยท 2006-11-03 09:19

I've been seeing trailers (mostly trash trailers) converted from dual rear wheels to singles. I dont know why this is, can they hold the weight and why the sudden change. Then I was watching trick my truck on CMT and they did it to a tractor. They took the dual rear wheels and put on new wheels but they were singles (instead of having 8 rear wheels the truck only had 4) They look like what some of the heavier tri-axle front tires they put on. Just wondering why this is a new trend. -Eric

Replies6
  1. #1Jeff D.2006-11-03 09:31

    They say they're lighter, and get better fuel mileage. I don't know if that would be enough for me to use them, but I guess every pound saved is extra payload. The truck or trailer gross weight carrying capacity still stays the same since the tandem tires and the super singles are usually above the axles rating anyway, which is then the limiting factor.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2006-11-03 17:27

    We used to haul grain on gravel roads with 8 wheelers and semi's (tractors). You'd break through the gravel and go up to the axles in sand with the dual equiped trucks whereas the super single trucks would plow right on through, especially the Auto's...you'd hear the buggers laughing at you on the radio. So guys don't like the loss of redundancy.

  3. #3Nac2006-11-03 17:58

    They are called super singles. A 445/65R22.5 Lsize tire can hold 12,300 lb and is 21" wide more contact area than 2 singles at least that's waht they say. I am still trying to negotate the deal on the Volvo VHD Roll off tri axle and they are going to mount 445/65R22.5 L all the way around front, lift and drive axles

  4. #49420pullpan2006-11-03 19:06

    here check this site out http://ricksontruck.com/ http://f650pickups.com/indexb.html

  5. #5Ford LT-90002006-11-03 19:22

    You save some weight but keep in mind you blow a drive tire the truck is disabled. Also a tire like the one NAC posted is close to 800-1000 dollars each. Myself I don't think I would run supersingles as drives as they cost more money to replace. Like I said if you get a flat you have to pretty much stop where you are or you are going to ruin a rim. Also another thing to consider you have all the weight on one rim where as with dual wheels the load is carried on two. A 445 supersingle has a 17 Inch width you look at a set of duals say 11R22.5 rubber each tire has a width of 10 inches in a dual set up you have more width which gives you far more stability. I caculated it out for a regular tandem axle no lift axles it would cost about 4000 dollars to put regular drive tires on the back and 425/65R22.5 supersingle steers. To put 445/65R22.5 supersingle drive tires 4800 dollars.

  6. #6rino2006-12-29 00:39

    Super Singles I see a lot of Flow Boy type trailers and quad dump trailers running super singles! They do save alot on weight, but if you are running in and out of a demo sight, scrap yard or concrete recycling sight, it could become "very" expensive! Same as the C&D landfills! Sorry but I think I'd rather keep 20 11.00 R 24.50 in stock then 5 Supers! You can cap the 24.50's, I don't think the supers are capable.