Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New KW

2004F550 ยท 2006-11-05 10:53

Here is a pic of our new T800 chassis as we ready it for the dump body. Thought you guys might like some pics, more after we finish it up.

Replies32
  1. #1jazak2006-11-05 11:27

    Are you the owner? Nice truck, love the color. What size dump are you going to put on it? Lots of guys here are putting LED strobe lights in the body are you going to do that? Put up pics when its done.

  2. #22004F5502006-11-05 12:41

    My dad and his brothers own it and I work there. Its going to get a J&J aluminum body off our 98 Mack then flipped over this summer, we'll see how it turns out since the body was on a CL and is now going to be on a KW t800 we hope it will work out. We will probably use LED lighting, i don't know about strobes yet. We should be getting our GMC 5500 this week too so Ill grab some pics of that....yea our color is definatly an eye catcher all shined up

  3. #3sbrem2006-11-05 12:55

    Looks great! What engine and tranny??

  4. #42004F5502006-11-05 13:00

    Cat C13 at 450 hp and Fuller 11 spd....4.88 gears, Chalmers beam hard a** ride suspension, hendrickson 20k lift axle

  5. #5Orchard Ex2006-11-05 14:51

    Looks great! With an aluminum body will look really sharp. Don't forget more pics with the body mounted. Maybe one of the interior too?

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-11-05 15:02

    Too bad Kenworth stopped making the split windshield its kinda traditional look. As for Chalmers suspension it rides smoother than Hendrickson Walking beam and with a aluminum box you want a little smoother riding suspension because a aluminum box doesn't quite put enough load on the tires etc to keep the bouncing to a minimum. Good tires also help you get a out of round one and it starts to bounce if you wear dentures they will be on the floor :lmao Are you sure the transmission isn't a 9LL the only one with a 11spd I think is Mack. I like the old T-800s they are not cheap trucks it will be far better than the Mack you meantioned. The C-13s have a pretty good bark to them if you punch the muffers out :yup You better get your dad the chrome book with all the aftermarket stuff for Paccar trucks. One of the owner operators I know not dump but a truck tractor spend probably 10 grand on aftermarket stuff to dress up his Pete. Its not like some of the Pete's I have seen where its over accessorized. With a dump truck the less lights you have is probably the better the viberation kills them. You can never have enough back up (reversing) lighting when working in early morning conditions.

  7. #7CascadeScaper2006-11-05 16:58

    Do you guys usually run on fairly level ground? I'm curious as the radiator isn't oversized (as far as I can tell), about 85% of the T800 dumps out here have the largest radiator you can get. Nice truck! The color is awesome.

  8. #82004F5502006-11-05 17:03

    Maybe it is a 9LL, never knew one existed, I shift just like the 8LL we have. Its gotta some extra low low i believe. The 4.88's are awesome though, we can do 70 mph and then go off road onsite and have no problem. I don't know how these guys use 4.30's and even ratios in the high 3's for dump trucks....I wish we had gotten more lights, like the mirror turn signals, etc. I was just happy to get the SS accesories we got lol. The windshield could be split curve or one piece, or the traditional spilt flat, there all options.

  9. #9erthmover2006-11-05 21:37

    She is deffinatly a beauty.:notworthy Can't wait to see more pics.

  10. #10Jeff D.2006-11-05 22:06

    Yes, very nice!!:thumbsup

  11. #11Ford LT-90002006-11-06 02:53

    I imagine it must be a 9LL I haven't driven one yet but its more options for gearing for construction trucks. The low axle gears help with the offroad work keeps you from breaking things and easier on the driveline. The standard radiator is probably good enough for a C-13 I can see going with the T-800H or T-800W if you were grossing 140,000lbs and working offroad.

  12. #12CascadeScaper2006-11-06 12:52

    I guess it depends on how long your idle times are, I know all the logging trucks are running oversized radiators. For us in Chelan, with temperatures getting into the 100+ degree range in the summer, having an oversized radiator is the only way to go, especially if you're jockeying a truck around the site a lot.

  13. #13Ford LT-90002006-11-06 13:03

    If your running C-15s or ISX engines the big rad is needed if it is working in hot conditions. These are the high hood models for extreme conditions.

  14. #142004F5502006-11-12 22:17

    Some pics a week later, we have the body mounted, only thing left is to plumb the truck for the tarp and it will be on the road, well lettering of course too. All get some better ones outside and some of the interior when the weather gets better around here....i don't think it looks too bad considering the body was built around a whole different truck. John

  15. #15ARPlante2006-11-12 22:49

    John, What is the name of the company you work for? That's a great looking truck you got there- I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come! Andrew

  16. #162004F5502006-11-12 22:52

    Canton Village Construction, Inc..thanks..........who do you work for? John

  17. #17Ford LT-90002006-11-12 23:24

    Holy crap thats a big box On dump trucks our dump boxes are 16' long but the sides are not that tall they might be 60"s tall at most. They usually hold 14 yards usually when the box is full the truck is loaded. A big box like that you probably have to be very carefull or you will overload the truck big time. Truck looks good it might be time to get the buffer out and some compound with a good wax to make the box shine to match the truck :laugh

  18. #18ARPlante2006-11-12 23:34

    Well, I'm currently a college student in Boston studying business management/ entrepreneurial business. After college I plan on starting my own development/excavation company. However, since I am only a lowly college student with no money and limited experience,:wink2 I get my playtime in the dirt working for G. Lopes Construction. Lopes brought me on last summer as an assistant supervisor/ project manager and I have gotten some excellent experience with them that I hope to build upon in the future.

  19. #192004F5502006-11-13 08:00

    Oh yea i've heard of lopes, actually our company winter coats are based on a designed lopes used with the same manufacture, small world. I'm in college too, for construction management. Rat, when we bought the Macks were were suppose to be legal for 24 yards but when they arrived they weighed more then projected, whats new, and still were only able to haul 20 yards like the other trucks. So we built the bodies and they were never used to full potential.

  20. #20Squizzy246B2006-11-13 08:21

    Jeepers...Just as well I don't have to load that sucker with my skid...I'd have tyre marks half way up the body to get the bucket in

  21. #21jmac2006-11-13 15:48

    Most of the trucks around here have boxes that tall. 18' long and as tall as the truck. Can't load with a skid, no way, hard to load with my EX60 but easier now with the PC150. They will hold 20 yards no problem, they put 16 yards because of weight but will hold alot more. 22 to 23 tons of stone when I get loads from them. My truck is 16.5' box but alot shorter and much easier to load. I put 14yards in it sometimes 15 yards if I want to push the weight. 15 ton is perfect for what my truck will handle so 14 to 15 yards is alot of weight for my truck but the newer ones seem to handle to 16 yards fine. Very nice truck, congrats, do you drive for your dad?

  22. #222004F5502006-11-13 22:43

    yea i drive quite a bit now, I've had my class A for a couple years, I usually find myself in our old Mack DM roll off or filling in for the trailer driver moving equipment here and there so i actually have no real time in any of our KW's, hoping to get some time in this one maybe. I don't mind moving equipment because it keeps you thinking and theres action, I'm not too much for dump trucks and the roll-off gets really quick. John

  23. #23nedly052006-11-14 05:37

    Do you have a tractor trailer or use a tag?

  24. #242004F5502006-11-14 08:42

    We have two lowbeds and we also have a mack s/a that pulls a tag, i use both.

  25. #252004F5502006-11-14 10:41

    here are some pics of the tractor/ trailer and the tag set up...

  26. #262004F5502006-11-14 11:02

    opps i already posed pics of the tag some where on the forum so it won't let me again, but theres one of the lowbeds and the tractor anyway

  27. #27sbrem2006-11-14 17:13

    here is the thread where you posted it. And the KW looks great with the body on:thumbsup

  28. #282004F5502006-11-14 20:25

    thanks sbrem John

  29. #29nedly052006-11-14 20:29

    I love that Mack S/A. What are the specs on that bad boy? Does your Dad want to sell it? You guys have some sweet machines. I like how you keep them so clean and sharp. Right On:thumbsup

  30. #302004F5502006-11-14 20:53

    We'll be holding on to this for a while, its an '88 RD688P that we bought from a town that traded up a couple years ago, 36,000 miles orginally, has muncie central hyd. with electric solenoids, plow frame, etc. We replaced the body and added a jake brake, new tires, and painted it. It replaced a our '73 from the NY thruway that finally gave out and broke the frame this year. The other specs are Mack 275 hp, allison 5 spd, 23k rear end.

  31. #31nedly052006-11-15 05:26

    Like everything else you guys have, thats a beautiful rig. Nice specs, too bad she didnt have a 13 spd tho. Ive been lookin for a mack SA nice and clean for awhile. Just like that one!!

  32. #32CAT ONLY2009-09-14 02:40

    man i love that blue