Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dumb math question

RJH ยท 2005-11-08 23:35

Well, I told a distant friend of mine that I'd help him get his pad ready, to pour a floating pad for a garage 18 x 24 ointhead . Now the only prob is that I have no idea how to figure out how much fill is needed. I've taken out about 15 saplings and 2 good sized poplars. I've staked and squared it, ran a line level and there is 26" of drop. 0 to 26 very evenly. I need to minus 4"from the top for the mason (father-n-law) :Banghead, (not that bad though, dont tell anyone but I work with him during the day :drinkup ) and in NEPA code is 1' x 1' footer all round. So, what is the formula for getting a slope volume to yards of 2b. By the way I'm hoping to make this a full-time thing, all around landscaping/Excavation big and small; come spring of course. So if you have any other knowledge, advice, or even buss. planning you think I may need Please, My ears are wide open :usa

Replies5
  1. #1Steve Frazier2005-11-08 23:59

    The volume of a triangle, which essentially is what you have, is L x W x H/2 26" converts to 2.17 ft. This gives you 469 cu. ft. Divide by 27 and you get 17 1/2 yards in rough numbers. This doesn't account for the slope you'll end up with as the natural spill of the material you use.

  2. #2RJH2005-11-09 00:24

    Great! Thanks for the info. I was trying to figure it out as a pyramid and then realized that it only had three sides LxWxH/3. Now 2b is relativley close to 3200 a yard right. any other buss, advice is greatly appricieated. Thanks Again :usa

  3. #3RJH2005-11-09 00:34

    This may sound stupid, but yards to tonage? Is there a formula for that?

  4. #4digger242j2005-11-09 01:52

    Which is heavier--a ton of rocks, or a ton of feathers? I'll take your word for it. But right there you have the formula you're asking for. About "one and 1/2 tons per cubic yard", is a pretty good approxination to use for a lot of construction aggregates. They will differ somewhat though, due to factors like the density of the actual material (crushed stone weighs more than air-cooled slag, for instance), and the grade of material (a "2A modified" , which has a lot of fine material mixed with the bigger granules, will be heavier per yard, than a "2B", because the 2B will naturally have more air spaces in a cubic yard.) Unless you'tr trying to estimate really large quantities (say 50 tons or more), then the 1.5 tons/cubic yard rule of thumb is probably close enough.

  5. #5dayexco2005-11-30 10:50

    don't forget to allow for "shrink" of your material.....typically during compaction, you'll pack in 25-30% more material in an area than what you haul in as "loose" yards...in other words, if the pad calls for 100 in place cu. yds...by the time you get it in place and compacted, you'll have to haul in approx 125-130 yds.