Hi> a young person asked me recently why the front wheels of a road grader are angled as they are. I had no idea. Could someone tell me the answer? Many thanks, Mill
the reason for that is for traction and steering........
to counteract the sidways push of the blade SIMPLE
If you are cutting a ditch or working a side slope you can keep the front wheels close to vertical for better sterring.
Think of the blade like an ice skate. Because its on an angle like this (travelling up) \ it will want to skate the front end to the left. What you do is tilt the top of your wheels to the right so when the force is applied it pulls the bottom of your tire down and makes the tread sit flat on the ground. You can also use it to help steer.
No dumb questions I have this old book called Basic Blading. It was actually produced by Caterpillar. Year is unknown to me but by the model grader depicted in the pages I say its pretty darn old. Book is full of "basic" blading techniques. I have considered re-producing it for modern day reading. Interested to hear what everyone has to say.
I'll have to look and see if the front wheels are tiltable on my 1962 WABCO grader, "Moe's Baby". I don't know who froze the hands of time, but it looks like a historical, original artifact, that has "Moe's Baby" on the front. Runs A-1, 100%. Found it at an auction a few years back.
heymccall,post some pics on here. I start drewling when I see an old machine in good shape and operating
Motor Grader, I don't know about anyone else on here but I would definitely be interested in purchasing a nice color copy of your book. Especially if I could get it for a reasonable price! I would like to have it just to put up and keep with my service manual collection. I think it would be a great item to have and be able to show it to other people that think the same way most of us HEF nuts think. If you do decide to make any copies of it P.M. me and let me know. I would even be interested in a good scanned digital copy so that I could print a copy for myself if that would be possible. Or if need be I am willing to mail you a deposit on the book and pay freight both ways if you would mail it to me so that I could get it professionally scanned and I would even send you a digital copy back with your original copy. Just let me know. Thanks Smitty.
Motorgrader... I should have one of those books too. All the smarties around here wonder were the heck I learned to blade... I could show them that book.lol
what smitty said
Perhaps you could leave the coloring to us. Nothing like studying with crayons to "get the details". You have a treasure there.
how I found the book Here is the somewhat weird story of how I located the book. My dealer from Australia had mentioned the existance of this book to me. I searched the internet high and low with absolutely no results. When I tried contacting someone in Peoria (CAT) I might as well had been calling the man in the moon. Then I was in Australia for a couple weeks doing sales training. He continued to talk about this book. So when I got home I googled it one more time and guess what? It showed up in the search results. A book store in Australia had it! I guess having my computer plugged in Australia changed my search results???? Anyway, I bought it. On the back the following appears to have been printed....not stamped but actually printed: William Adams Tractors Pty. Limited. Tractor Division - Oakleigh, Victoria Australia. Its a rare book and to know CAT actually published and went as far to print the dealer name on the back cover made it that much more unique. Not to mention the travels this book has seen. Tell you guys what....Sometime in the next week or so I will take the time to shoot every page with my nikon camera. Its much better than my scanner. I will assemble in a .pdf and email to anyone that wants the book. Im happy you guys found some interest in it. It even has a section on turning the moldboard around and grading backwards!!! Many of the mysteries talked about here on HEF are about to be solved.
I'd sure appreciate that Bryan, my A-W operator's manual has a good section on operating techniques, but I'd like to see that one too. Let me know how you want to get my e-mail address. Thanks much, Mitch
Need a Copy please. Hi Motor Grader-- will really appreciate if you can mail a scanned copy at your convenience thanks and regards
Hey Motor Grader I'd love a copy as well, i'm just starting out on a John Deere and a Huber maintainer and would love some info to help me get started Thanks Andy Email address is [email protected]
I would also love a copy if its not too much trouble, I have got a bit of road building to do on the farm and a few tips would be good for my novice brain. steve
I have 2 good Grading Tips books. The Aveling 99H book is well illustrated & gives good insight for novices like myself. I really should copy it & pass it on .The Cat 12 book is good also. Jim
Can I have a copy please? Hi Motorgrader, Just wondering if you could email me a copy of the book, just Purchased an Aveling Barford ASG013 Motorgrader recently. Thanks very much
Can I have a copy please? Hi Motorgrader, Just wondering if you could email me a copy of the book, just Purchased an Aveling Barford ASG013 Motorgrader recently. My email address is [email protected] Thanks very much
Hey Motor Grader, I think if you reproduce the book into a pdf and then start a thread on here with the subject being the book title and suggest a sticky post, the administrator of the website will set it up permanently so anyone coming along later can access it. Thanks for offering it up to everyone!!! That would go for anyone else that has a book they want to add to the sticky post.
Funny. I did not see any GPS poles sticking up on those graders. I reckon back in that day, an OPERATOR didn't need GPS. Interesting what you can learn from a book. I was fired once for using the centershift on a CASE blade delivering material between the rear wheels. The foreman, a master craftsman on a backhoe, just couldn't understand that. I learned it from reading the manual that came with a new 12G in 1978 while working for T.L. James, and have never seen anyone else using this technique. Which is great for keeping baserock under control while running out the edges. "Course, I probably didn't need to say that here. Ya'll can probably read, being as you got this far on this post.
Well how else can you cut a 4' flat bottom ditch? haha. I wonder if motorgrader is still around here? that post was from June 2011. Wonder if he got his book done. I've seen a book like that before but been a long long time ago.
That's a neat book! I could really use one of those. Thanks for posting that. David
Rule of Thumb of leaning the front tires: If drinking beer, lean wheels left that day. If whiskey, lean right. Whacked out on wine, position tires straight up and down as wine does not affect motor grader operators that much like it does dozer and scraper hands.
I would like a copy as well please as I've just started a year ago on a 140H. I live in the UK and grader operators are more rarer here than in the states especially if you need a bit of advice. I have Learnt a great deal of information from this site on grader operation and i am thankful for all you operators giving your secrets to the youger generation of operators like my self cheers. Jim
Aveling Barford 99H I would also appreciate some information, would be interested in obtaining the 99H book. We have a 99H on a farm in Western Australia that we have owned for over 30 years. Simon
I've always heard that John Deere had the first articulating motor grader. But obviously in that brochure the Huber is articulating by way of the rear axle. So maybe Deere had the first articulating frame grader, but perhaps Huber did the shimmy first. The Huber also looks like it is doing pretty well with only a single axle rear end. Champion continues this setup today with the C60/66 Series graders, with optional hydraulic front wheel assist. Huber probably didn't offer back in the day. But I don't recall ever even seeing one, so that's just a wild guess on my part. The Champion in this factory photo actually looks like it's not doing quite as well as the Huber. http://www.championmotorgraders.us/images/gallery images/C60B_FB_DSC_0417.jpg
The Huber is a bigger machine....
http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/nps/upload/2003_07_24_NPS_gravelroads_sec1.pdf Might be of use................... http://www.gravelroadsacademy.com/media/filer_private/2012/02/14/motor_grader_operators_handbook_2000_1.pdf
Yes, the Champion is much smaller. A thought: If use of a single rear axle in lieu of a tandem will reduce the selling price new by an estimated $20,000, would it then be advantageous to turn around and pour the twenty grand into a larger single rear machine similar to the Huber? I have to admit I am intrigued by the single rear end with the optional front wheel hydraulic drive assist. Seems like this will reduce the number of potential problems with fewer tires and less mechanical apparatus, no drive chains. Of course, this assumes the front wheel drive assist is relatively trouble-free. And effective in replacing traction lost by elimination of the tandem. Lotta ifs present here.
http://www.cat.com/cda/files/2693967/7/AEGQ0947-00.pdf
Sorry, stock, but it seems like an M Series CAT grader can bring on more trouble than it's worth up against the Huber or the Champion...
Thanks mate!
Would love a copy if possible mate? [email protected] Thanks for your info!
would like a copy if its not to much trouble thanks
new member..... gotta get the test posts out of the way, and can't find the test forum..... sorry
sorry, gotta get 3
last one..... thanks for your patients.
This book would be so awesome to have! Please make a PDF of it! Pretty pleeeeeease!
Hello Bryan. I also would like to get a Copy of this Book if you Copy, Please advise Regards Winston..... Melbourne, Australia.
Hello Simon. I have worked on Aveling Austin 99H Graders, and I am still intrested in them, I would like to know about your Machine ? Winston............. Melbourne,
There is one more thing. As you get older and a little bit smarter all the ******** goe's down the drain and you soon start to see whats realy going on. and you get quicker and smarter. yep those wheel leans are real handy ;P GET ON WITH IT.:drinkup
Go CAT hahahaha please.
Heres an online publication that helped me alot on the little AC D at work. I havent got much time an a big grader but the little D has bladed many miles of road and straightened up many off days with the dozer. http://www.tpub.com/eqopbas/106.htm Its a little akward using the site nav at the top but it has other machines other than a grader to.
Here is a link some of you might be interested in. http://www.ruralhometech.com/RoadDrivewayMaintenance/ADitchInTime/tabid/79/Default.aspx
Hello Winston, All I can say about our machine is that it has been abused and neglected over the years on our farm. My dad is the only one who drives it though I am keen to get it going (dirty fuel problem I suspect). It has been an amazing machine especially the way it lugs along at low revs. Dad never uses batteries in it and yet rarely needs help as it is so rare to stall. He did roll it at a bushfire in steep hills. The government insurance wrote it off (bushfire attendance) due to it being innaccessable as well as upside down. The local dozer contractor then built a road to it and tipped it upright. We cut the cab off fixed a hydraulic hose, set the decompression lever (under tappet cover, we had been going to pull heads off) and started it (with batteries). It took me a week to get all the sump oil off me from the bent exhaust. The 99H is all original apart from radiator and everything works but looks rough with no cab or bonnet. I would be half interested in restoring this one or another. Simon WA Wheatbelt
Shared Knowledge The only '"dumb" question is the question that is not asked. Check out my website for basic to advanced roadbuilding/ maintenance information. www.terrasmooth.com
There are no dumb questions. Only dumb operators...