Hey guys, I am in the process of installing a dump bed on my dump truck. My truck had a 14ft Galbraith dump bed on it which was removed prior to me purchasing it. They left the cylinder, hydraulic lines and pto which are all in working order. I have a 14 ft dump bed I am installing. 1) the cylinder on my truck has a roll pin hole at the top/end of the cylinder that is much bigger than the cylinder on the dump bed I purchased. Is there an easy fix for this ? I was thinking I could drill out the hole in the doghouse for the pin in the bed I'm installing or get some sort of a donut to go inside the cylinder which the roll pin could slide through if that makes sense. 2) it looks like the length of from the center of the bottom of the cylinder on my truck to the back roll pin holes is 3-4 inches longer than the dump bed I bought (which came with a cylinder). Seems like I just unbolt the cylinder bracket from frame when I drop the bed on top and then lower it and then mark the cylinder bracket and drill? Any guidance or insights from folks with hands on experience here is much appreciated. Thanks, Rob
Welcome to the Forums HT! Glad to have you. Post some pics of the cylinder and the bed.
Thanks. Here are some photos
Here are some photos showing the distance measurements roll pin to roll pin. I'm thinking I just slide the cylinder bracket back on my truck and drill new frame holes. Or maybe 3-4 inches doesn't matter I don't know.
First of all I am no mechanic and a 1/2 ass fabricator but what about cutting the mounts out of the doghouse and welding in a mount to match the pin size on your cylinder? You might be able to take up the 3-4 inches of the longer cylinder in the doghouse as well instead of moving the mount on the frame. That may not be possible, just a thought.
I'd turn a bushing for the end of the cylinder so that the pin fits. Just make sure it has clearance through its entire travel.
Exactly my first thought. A good machine shop could custom build one pretty quick. Backlog could be another story though.
Even a guy with an old lathe in the back of his barn could hold good enough tolerances for this job. OP, just make sure you drill the bushing to line up with the grease fitting.