Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

N14 370e —BC4?

H621 ยท 2023-06-15 22:53

Hey guys I have a N14 that I am having a tough time finding the right P/N for the accessory drive oil seal. The engine serial number data plate is gone and Kenworth can't find the part using the VIN. What's in the truck now is a 3078221 which was finger loose. This truck has has 2 or 3 seals put in back to back and keeps leaking. Yes I am aware the cover housing bore could be worn somehow but even with a new cover I'm still left guessing a seal number and would look mighty stupid in front of customer when the new cover doesn't solve the problem. The accessory drive on the truck is a 3078307. TIA

Replies12
  1. #1funwithfuel2023-06-16 07:27

    Thats a teflon seal. It shouldn't fail if installed properly. Has anyone looked at the accessory drive pulley? There is a wear sleeve offered. Come to think of it, has anyone checked the loaded axial play of the drive itself? Might need to be rebuilt.

  2. #2RocketScott2023-06-16 07:36

    3078307 is a large shaft They make two different seals, with or without the wear sleeve. 3078221 is used with the wear sleeve. 3078292 is used without the wear sleeve Don't forget the little keyway seal

  3. #3H6212023-06-16 08:02

    Which key way seal are you referring to? That's a big help on which seal goes with wear sleeve. The parts breakdown myself and the dealer have dont show a keyway seal. This is a Reman recently installed drive

  4. #4RocketScott2023-06-16 08:22

    The keyway seal goes in the keyway after the pulley is installed, under the washer

  5. #5RocketScott2023-06-16 08:32

    My guess would be that you're using the wear sleeve seal without the wear sleeve. Even if you add the wear sleeve it would be a good idea to replace the seal. The teflon seals are designed to lay down a layer of teflon on the shaft, that's probably gone by now The PAI website is great for reference: https://portal.paiindustries.com/account/entrance#

  6. #6RocketScott2023-06-16 08:34

    Which part is finger tight? The seal into the front cover or the seal onto the shaft on the pulley?

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-06-16 09:04

    Even with a keyway seal it's always a good idea to put some red RTV with it, many leak with just the seal. The outside dia of seal will be the same only the inside with or without wear sleeve changes. Installed dry, no lube on seal.

  8. #8H6212023-06-17 01:03

    The pulley side shaft seal is the one I'm referring to.

  9. #9RocketScott2023-06-17 09:09

    Understood Is it finger loose in the housing or is the seal with the pulley finger loose?

  10. #10H6212023-06-17 09:47

    The ID and OD were so close I couldn't tell where the slop was it would just spin. No side to side movement. It was leaking between housing and seal where the Teflon is not on the shaft. 3078221 is what I pulled out

  11. #11Truck Shop2023-06-17 13:08

    3078292?

  12. #12H6212023-06-17 13:15

    I'll be trying that one next