Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump Trailerswill

SMLWinds ยท 2014-08-17 09:39

I an in need of something that dumps--either a truck or a trailer. I also need a trailer to haul my new mini excavator and skid steer (one at a time), each of which weigh approximately 10K pounds. I was planning to get a flat bed trailer and a used dump truck but now am thinking that maybe a nice dump trailer will kill 2 birds with one stone. I am completely unfamiliar with dump trailers so need some help. I have a few questions I would really appreciate some assistance with: 1) Is it reasonable that I could get a trailer to use for my dumping jobs and also double as a hauling trailer for my equipment? I know the trailers "can" haul those machines but do they do as good of a job as a flatbed? 2) What are the best brands of dump trailers? I never want to waste money, but I have the means to buy whatever I want if the increased value justifies the increased price. 3) How does the load capacity of dump trailer (larger, nice ones) compare to that of a used single axle dump truck in general terms? Also, if anyone is curious, I do not do anything with this equipment for a living and everything I am getting will be used for miscellaneous uses. I have some rental properties, a farm, and some landscaping projects that will require some dirt and gravel hauling. I am young and generally buy nice equipment and plan to hang on to it for a long time so I like durable commercial grade items, despite the fact that I do not do anything with it for a living. Thanks for your help!

Replies9
  1. #1clintm2014-08-17 10:03

    If you have the capabilities to pull it a goose neck trailer handles and pulls a lot better and is more maneuverable don't forget any trailer with a GVW over 9,999pds you must have a class A license to pull it loaded or empty or if the truck is licensed for over 26,000pds at least a class B license

  2. #2SMLWinds2014-08-17 10:09

    Thanks for your response. I have just started looking into licenses as well--thanks for the tip. Just so I am clear, since my machinery is about 10K I probably need a Class A license no matter how I haul it, correct? I will just have to check and see what is involved with obtaining that. Am I correct in assuming from your response that the F-350 will not have any issues towing my machinery? Thanks for the help!

  3. #3clintm2014-08-17 10:35

    you see it every day on the road here I have a 1997 f350 4x4 crew cab long bed single wheel auto with utility bed and 100gal fuel tank that I drove for 13 years every day pulled a 6 ton deck trailer about 25% of the time the truck weighed 11,500pds without fuel in the tank I never wore out a set of rear tires always blowed out or separated @ about 50% broke springs and shackeles so I would recommend a duel wheel truck

  4. #4old-iron-habit2014-08-17 15:57

    If you balance the machine correctly on the trailer with the right tongue weight you will have no problem pulling 10,000 with a F350. Gooseneck is the hot setup if you can sacrifice the truck bed. Does limit what you can put in the box.

  5. #5SMLWinds2014-08-17 16:07

    Thanks for the feedback. So, what are people's thoughts and advice on dump trailers? Do they work well? Would I be better off buying a used dump truck instead? How much do they carry compared to single axle dump trucks? What brands do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

  6. #6CM19952014-08-17 19:37

    Not entirely correct. First of all check your state licensing requirements when it comes to commercial licenses, as they can vary from state to state. All states must follow the Federal guidelines but just like OSHA they can be stricter. My post in your truck thread explains the Federal rules and Alabama rules as they follow the basic fed rules.

  7. #7RTSmith2014-08-25 17:25

    FWIW, I am a lot like you. My uses are personal/farm/hobby. I got a "nice" dump trailer, 14' bumper pull with 2ea 7K axles. Had ramps to load a skid, etc. First- that load was steep enough it caused a little pucker with skid. But my frustration came in to play very regularly when I would load the trailer with what looked like a reasonable amount of material, and it wouldn't dump. So there I'm taking the backhoe to pull material out enough to finish with the hoist. Also- I disagree with OP on the gooseneck being the ticket. Mine was a BP, and even with that short of a wheelbase, backing into places could be tight, compared to a straight dump truck. A GN would be twice as hard. I sell utility trailers for a living, so please spare me the BP vs. GN scenario. I eventually found me a nice older 10' dump truck, that will physically dump anything I put into it. The dump trailer is gone, and except for mulching the yard, I don't miss it a bit. But- it can be frustrating to not use the truck for several weeks, and have to run critters out of it, dead battery, etc. Trailer is less of an issue like that.

  8. #8Deeretracks2014-08-25 19:00

    We have a 14' 14k PJ dump trailer and it is very well made. We only put our Hitachi Zx35's in it but I have a good friend that has a Kubota KX121-3 and the same trailer, he hauls it all over w/o issues. I added a 2nd battery to cure the lack of dumping power and a relay to kill the battery feed from the truck so it would stop blowing the charge fuse otherwise it's been a great setup. A dump trailer is by no means comparable to a 5yd dump truck but it is versatile and much easier to load with a mini or skidsteer. Plus, if you already have a nice tow rig it is cheaper to buy the dump trailer than to by a dump truck and equipment trailer. It really depends on YOUR needs.

  9. #9RTSmith2014-08-26 09:08

    Folks are less likely to ask to borrow your dump truck than your dump trailer....