Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Types of Flatbed Trailers

SMLWinds ยท 2014-08-17 10:31

I have been looking at flatbed trailers for haul my mini excavator and skid steer (one at a time...each weighing about 10K). I see some "over the axle trailers" (I think tha tis the right term) where the bed is above the top of the wheel. Some trailers, I think that more commonly haul automobiles, have their bed lower to the ground where half the wheel well is sticking up above the deck of the trailer. What is the difference between these 2? Obviously I assume the over the top bed gives you more width since you have bed over the tire as well but are there differences besides that? I would think the lower deck would be easier to load since it is a less steep incline. I know the skid steer or excavator don't matter but I am wondering if that would be easier if you are winching something onto the trailer? Thanks for your help!

Replies3
  1. #1CM19952014-08-17 10:41

    One is a deck over wheel and the other is deck between wheel. Pros - Deck over - wider deck space, higher clearance, usually a heavier trailer Deck between axles - lower loading angle, lower center of gravity on trailer, smaller dovetail (if any) and ramps Cons - Deck over - higher center of gravity, sharper/longer loading angle Deck between - less deck space for wider machines, some of the bigger CTL's won't fit on some, very little ground clearance - for example crossing curbs or off asphalt, the tail tends to drag

  2. #2SMLWinds2014-08-17 11:11

    That could not have been more concise and helpful....thanks so much!

  3. #3td25c2014-08-17 20:31

    Yeah , CM 1995 summed it up well . We debated the two types of trailers and decided to go with the deck between axil model . I liked the lower deck & low angle ramps . Sometimes haul an automobile , small car , SUV . The low angle ramps work great for that . Ended up getting a goose neck Corn Pro trailer, looks like this www.cornprotrailer.net/heavy-duty-utility-trailers/ We really like it , haul skid loader , small farm tractors , concrete forms , you name it .