Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump truck box won’t come down

MattR ยท 2024-04-16 14:55

We parked our quad axle dump for the winter last november. The guys left the box up maybe a few feet off the frame. They fired the truck up to get ready for this year's work season and the box will go all the way up from the point it was left at, but when coming down it only goes to that point that it was sitting at all winter long. They tried driving around to jostle it a little bit. But to no avail. They've ran it up and down many times and it just refuses to go all the way down. Any ideas? Can't be anything major cuz it was always worked fine. I'm not sure if air would do that or not Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1mekanik2024-04-16 15:13

    Is there a machine there that could set something heavy in the box?

  2. #2The Peej2024-04-16 15:27

    It sat all winter without a block or safety prop? sounds like there is a block left somewhere

  3. #3MattR2024-04-16 15:27

    We do have a front end loader down there and considered doing just that, but then we thought before we possibly cause more damage we better look into other avenues first

  4. #4MattR2024-04-16 15:28

    That's exactly what I asked the guys. I wasn't down there. But they said they removed all the blocks and there is absolutely no block still hiding out. But you're right, that was my first thought also

  5. #5skyking12024-04-16 18:10

    I ran a real POS single axle that would get stuck. I grabbed a load chain and if it did, I hooked the chain to the front of the box and drove over it with a drive tire. Sorted that right out. Once it started it was OK, it just stuck at the top sometimes. When you are in somebody else's pit you have to work it out yourself if they don't want any liability.

  6. #6MattR2024-04-16 20:30

    That's great!