Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump truck hydraulic pump identification? replacement/repair suggestions?

want-a-be ยท 2016-02-22 20:46

I have a 1985 GMC Brigadier (single axle, can almost haul 10 ton legally) and my dump pump is leaking. Before taking it off the truck I observed a drip coming from one of the seams of the pump (see the pictures). I got the pump apart only to find that it bolts together metal to metal, no gasket or seal? There are two rubber o-rings in the back(?) part of the pump, but that's it. I've got some numbers off the pump, but haven't been able to find a whole lot googling them. This is what I have: Dump bed: Fontaine U50-7523 ser# HC29763 Pump: CCH-12-10 and DCH-22-121 I guess I'm trying to determine my best solution. Rebuild, which not sure what there is to rebuild aside from the 2 o-rings. Perhaps when they start leaking they're done? Replace, what would be a good candidate for a replacement pump? This one has (2) 1" shafts that poke out the front, truck pto connects to one of them. Any advice/help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Kenny

Replies9
  1. #1alskdjfhg2016-02-22 21:18

    I was having some hydraulic problems on my POS case excavator, took the pumps out and they were worn. They are old obsolete Vickers pumps, so no parts support. The machine died basically in the driveway of the house so other than cut it up, I need to get some new pumps in it to move it. Had to be a clever young self taught machinist, and decided to just make my own pumps from scratch. It's not as crazy as it sounds, someone has to make them and I have some machines that are capable of precision. Made a puller to remove the bearings, used the two bearing bored to find locations in the jig bore, scraped in a piece of dura-bar to have a flat reference surface, did rough work on vertical mill, went back to jig bore and bored gear bores in central dura-bar piece to .001 oversize (spec I found on line from a manufacturer) with a tolerance of -0 +.0005 (huge tolerance for a jig bore), turned up some 956 bronze for new bearings, pressed them in old bores, bored the bearings to size with the jig bore, the midsection was ground to final thickness (matched old part), and bolt holes were transferred and drilled. (Granted to do this it helps to know an old P&W toolmaker) My pump has bronze wear plates separating the two bearing halves from the mid section with a compressible plastic/o-ring seal machined into it. This pump looks a lot like the ones I'm making, except smaller and not a duplex (the one out of the excavator is two pumps bolted together). If you can find a replacement pump, go that route, will probably be the cheapest and fastest. But if that's not an option, you could have one made (there are shops out there that could do or find/modify a pump, but it will be $$$).

  2. #2bvfdfire2016-02-22 22:02

    It looks like a Barnes to me, but with the age of it, your best bet would be to upgrade to a new pump, there are many options out there. The first one that comes to my mind is Commercial, they will have a pump that should bolt right up or have minimal adaptation. it is meant to fit a multitude of applications hence the 2 input shafts, one clockwise rotation the other is counterclockwise.

  3. #3Jonas3022016-02-22 22:22

    If everything was working properly I would probably rub some anaerobic sealer or even some spray copper coat reassemble and see if it still leaks

  4. #4Delmer2016-02-22 23:19

    2nd that. Everything looks good from here, it's a dump truck not a crane.

  5. #5mikebramel2016-02-23 01:11

    If it's not cracked, you can lap the surfaces to get them sealed and torque all the bolts evenly

  6. #6lantraxco2016-02-23 03:11

    Yep, worst case have a local machine shop surface grind all four surfaces flat, make sure the gears still have a bit off clearance on the ends, she'll run for many years more probably.

  7. #7want-a-be2016-02-27 16:43

    trouble in paradise So I cleaned it all up and discovered that between the oval sections, there was actually a very thin metal shim (gasket?). So I was very careful to not damage anything and put it back together. I did use a very thin coat of the red gel thread locker as well as replaced half a dozen o-rings. Bolted it on today. Right off the bat, no leaks at the seams up/down everything seemed fine. Until, the front (the end with the two shafts for the pto) of the pump started to leak. So I pulled it back apart to confirm I didn't miss any o-rings and such. It all looked good. Except, I did notice some wear on the shafts where the o-rings ride. I also got a chance to speak with a heavy truck mechanic (turning wrenches for 20+ years). He mentioned that when these pumps wear in the chambers where the gears turn, it can allow pressure to get through to the front of the pump. When I had it broken down the first time I did notice this wear he was talking about. At the time I didn't realize its significance. Oh well, I do know. Anyway, now it's time to find a replacement. One thing I have to decide now is do I try to get a pump that will work with my cylinder. It's the type that has the reservoir contained in itself (i.e. no outside tank). It's a very odd setup to me, as I can't help but think how does this thing work without a vent? Normally an external tank has a vent to let any air in the system escape. So again do I convert to the external tank (which most systems probably use) or do I keep the same setup? Anyone out there have the all in one cylinder/reservoir non-vented system? Appreciate everyone who responded. Thanks!

  8. #8bvfdfire2016-02-27 20:00

    search dump truck pumps. parker and numerous others build dump truck pumps. the system that you are describing has been on dumptrucks for very long time. the cylinder serves as reservoir also. a c101 or c102 pump will work perfectly for what you want to do. and it may very well be pretty easy to find one on fleabay

  9. #9want-a-be2016-03-15 21:18

    Bvfdfire, you called it. Picked up one and I'm up and running again. The only thing I had to do was drill a hole in my cylinder fill plug. With out that hole the pump would make a sqalling noise about half way going up. I may end up putting on a separate reservoir tank. That way if the pto is still engaged going down the road the pump won't get trashed. So 3 line hook up vs 2 line. I really appreciate everyone's comments.