Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Making dump truck

7060 ยท 2016-02-24 13:35

I just bought a Chevy Kodak single axle with a 3208 and 5 speed. I am wanting to put a 11' dump bed on it. It is not double framed, but would it need to be if I build my own subframe for the dump bed that goes up under the back of the cab and all the way to the back hinge? Does it need wood under the subframe or could I use 1/4" rubber belt? Gonna haul rock and dirt with it local, but don't want frame problems. Also thinking about swapping the 5 speed for a 10 or 13 speed. What would be involved in that? I'm familiar with the 3208 engine with a 5+2 but having just 5 gears might cut the power even more. I bought the truck cheap though. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1repowerguy2016-02-24 18:23

    The single frame should be just fine, I've built a few out of box trucks and didn't have a issue. I usually left the cushion out from under the subframe because I think it promotes corrosion and isn't necessary. If you change trannys, a RT-613 would be a good choice, naturally a driveshaft would need made.

  2. #2tuney4432016-03-06 17:01

    The subframe on the dump body whether home made or factory still sits on top of the frame, so if you're going to load and use the truck as a ''typical'' dump truck, meaning heavy, yes to the double frame.A single frame of typical mild steel usually will develop cracks right behind the cab, just like what happens to pickups we've all seen with beds out of alignment to the cab. Newer dump trucks can be ordered with a single frame but those are either thicker steel and /or have a higher rating.

  3. #3Delmer2016-03-06 20:54

    With a short bed on a single axle, depending on the wheelbase you might not have much weight on the frame. The engine is close to the front axle and the distance from center of the bed to the rear axle determines how much weight is on the frame. Plus it can't haul that much on a single axle anyway.

  4. #4td25c2016-03-06 21:35

    We have an 11' bed on a 1966 Chevy C60 . Perfect size bed for the truck . It's single frame & held up for 50 years . Happy birthday C60 ! HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5Delmer2016-03-06 21:40

    Forgot to add, a 3208 in a chevy is from the 80's, right? Most likely not looking to do another 200,000 miles loaded.

  6. #6Shimmy12016-03-06 22:28

    Was it free?? :drinkup Seriously, an 11' box on a single axle should be fine as long as you're not driving around with a center post hoist holding the loaded box in the air. Ditto on the RT-613 transmission idea. They were most commonly used behind 3208's and International DT466's.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2016-03-08 14:00

    I think the gear ratio splits for the existing 5 speed + 2 speed should be about the same as a 10 or 13 speed. In other words you would not gain much other than easier operation of the Roadranger over the existing 5+2 which is already in the truck, in other words free.

  8. #8Shimmy12016-03-08 17:05

    Might be partially true for the upper gears, but you will have much better gradeability for maneuvering. First gear in a Spicer 5 speed is plenty fast, unless you have rears in the upper 4 to 5-1 ratio, which would put your top end around 55.

  9. #9repowerguy2016-03-08 20:23

    The first three gears in a 613 are a deep reduction that you don't use but off the road. I'm sure this will stir up some controversy but the ideal transmission would be a MT-653 Allison auto, smooth power transfer and nice off road manners.

  10. #10Shimmy12016-03-08 22:34

    Yeah, but a 3208 is enough of a turd without neutering it further.

  11. #11Birken Vogt2016-03-09 00:35

    In my past life as fireman 3208/MT Allison was a common combo and I liked them very much.