Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dump truck side boards

divedigger ยท 2011-07-20 13:18

What wood last the longest on side boards? If you get sawmill oak, most of the time you get heart cut and a few hits and it splits down the center. Rot is not a problem because they get busted first but thats what they are there for to protect the top of the bed. I am looking for a wood that will just chip rather split all the way down. I know you might say get a better operator but hauling rock,stumps ,cleanup,limbs and about anything else you are going to get the boards sooner or later. Has anyone tried gum tree wood, they use to use it for striping to nail the the tin on barns because of low acid that rust the tin and tight grain to hold the nails, but wont last long exposed to the weather but might work. Thanks for any thoughts because replacing 16ft and 18ft sideboards is a job by your self if you notch and fit like it should.

Replies13
  1. #1Asphalt/Dirtman2011-07-20 14:00

    We use saw mill white oak from an amish mill and it last longer than the truck does. I dunno, maybe you should check around the mills. we have 2 or 3 within 30 miles of us.

  2. #2Greg2011-07-20 22:35

    Used to use plain old Douglas Fir 2 x 12's here. Idiot hoe operators hit them and the break easy. I have seen others use full 2.0" rough sawed oak, elm and even microlam. Idiot hoe and loader guys hit that and I have seen the box get bent up. The Doug Fir planks are cheap too.

  3. #3Colorado Digger2011-07-20 22:51

    side boards out here we use 1" thick ar400 reinforced with kryptonite. just in case one of the drivers bumps his head. darned drivers always banging their heads on the sideboards when they get lost. or cannot fill their 44 oz big gulp cup because sevies ran out of diet dr pepper. sometimes they do it because the ac doesn't blow -40f either:guns:stirthepot regards, cd :Banghead:Banghead darned drivers

  4. #4mitch5042011-07-22 00:23

    I use steel 12" channel on my steel bodies, that haul stumps and demo debris; and hardened aluminum rectangular tubing on my aluminum bodies. Gum boards are tough, but will rot out in a few months, unless you creosote them. BTW, I also used to have fantasies of :guns drivers, frequently over AC that wouldn't refreeze their Slushie drinks. That is why, in June, I sold all but 3 trucks, and all my drivers.

  5. #5danregan2011-07-22 05:45

    I just replaced the boards on my 10 wheeler with a sawmill oak. The body's channels are for 3" oak, but these were 2" that I had laying around so I got a piece of 1" plywood and ripped it down. This thread did get me thinking though, what about those LVL manufactured beams the make for joists and carrying beams now- the processed wood?

  6. #6Greg2011-07-22 08:59

    that is the microlam I mentioned above. Expensive stuff though for side boards.

  7. #7OmniEquipped2011-07-22 13:40

    I recently purchased some old dump trucks from the oil field. They run a piece of drill stem across the top of the side boards. They said they've been doing that to their trucks since the 1940's. I thought that defeated the purpose of having the boards, but I guess they have a reason for it.

  8. #8Willis Bushogin2011-07-22 21:33

    I agree the 12" channel is the best way to go, a bit expensive, but if youre going to keep the truck, its worth it I presently use gum rough cut, 2" x 10" boards on 17-18ft beds. I only haul rock, dirt and asphalt now, but when I was clearing lots, those big stumps rally liked to hit the side boards. The gum seem to not bust as bad as anything else In most cases its just better to buy a bunch of pine boards from Home Depot. One thing I did start doing is use two short boards, instead of one long board. A lot easier and cheaper to replace a short board I did use a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" thick X 12" wide flat bar, tack welded in place on top of the bed and welded a piece of 2" heavy wall square tubing on top of the flat bar, this is almost the same as using channel, lots more work, but this a little cheaper than 12" channel. I do my own welding, so that wasnt a problem I think the 12" channel is the way to go, if you do alot of hauling trash debris, I dont remember what a 16ft piece cost me, but Im thinking $250

  9. #9Orchard Ex2011-07-23 08:34

    How much did you get for the drivers? We used to scrap ours but driver scrap prices are too low now. This is the route everybody here goes too. Sideboards are figured as consumables like tires and CB antennas.

  10. #10mitch5042011-07-23 12:14

    I wondered if anybody would catch that. I sold the trucks to a customer, and they kept the drivers in the seats. Otherwise, I would have scrapped them,but, around here they charge us to take them.

  11. #11grandpa2011-07-23 14:20

    I've often thought if I EVER had any spare time i'd make a riggin to melt down plastic milk jugs and make durable box planks..... but my order for spare time never arrive's.

  12. #12Porkchop2011-07-24 01:05

    Thats a pretty cool idea Grandpa... That would save a few pounds, especially if your truck has metal side rails. I drove for a guy that had metal rails, my truck has wood also. I'd like something really nice looking appealing for my truck, with stainless hardware. I don't haul much of anything but asphalt in my truck, so I don't have to worry about crazy loader operators (not anymore).

  13. #13Komatsu 1502011-07-25 12:14

    Brother in law used to have recycled aluminum truck frame channel on his dump. Looked good except for the bolt holes. He got loaded with big loaders mostly but they were like 3/4" thick so pretty tough anyway.