Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump Truck Tailgate and Frame Body

Cartoondude135 ยท 2019-08-16 06:17

Here's something that struck me as odd: the tailgate arms on this dump truck are unlike anything I've ever seen before. Like, who would even design a dump truck like this anyways and how would the tailgate lift arm mechanism work? Also, I noticed one crucial detail: these types of dump trucks with the said tailgates are only found throughout the Ontario province of Canada. The same thing applies to the dump truck's chassis body/frame.

Replies10
  1. #1RZucker2019-08-16 22:46

    High lift tailgate, pretty handy for dumping bulky objects like stumps or concrete slabs.

  2. #2Theweldor2019-08-16 22:52

    And it looks to be pretty simple and low maintenance.

  3. #3Bumpsteer2019-08-16 23:12

    Holy ****! I would not want to hit a Michigan weigh station with that sucker.......they would freak out over that axle spread. Ed

  4. #4AzIron2019-08-17 13:24

    That's similar to what we can do here but you need multiple pusher axels to bridge not a 20k that tailgate design is simple driver can't for get to unlatch the gate that way

  5. #5suladas2019-08-18 15:40

    We don't have any tag/pusher axles here and i'm so glad. They are just so funny, and look like an absolute nightmare and serve no purpose. Just run a tri-drive, way more useful truck.

  6. #6uptight excavating2019-08-18 21:50

    That style of tailgate is often used in demolition applications. It is common all across Canada.

  7. #7Cartoondude1352019-08-18 22:40

    That's funny, I don't see these kind of dump trucks here in Vancouver BC nor do I see any trucks with pusher axles here.

  8. #8farmerlund2019-08-19 08:45

    Silage hauling trucks have used a similar set up around here for years. pretty simple but it works.

  9. #992U 34062019-08-19 09:13

    I agree. All those lift axles look goofy. I wonder how much extra maintenance 1-4 lift/tag axle(s) require?

  10. #10AzIron2019-08-19 14:39

    It depends on the driver really most pusher axles are steerable the real problem comes from backing up if the driver forgets to lift them so some trucks are set up everytime the reverse light comes on it lifts the axel witch takes a lot of air All in all I know owner operators that have no issues with me and I know fleet trucks that can't keep tires or air bags on them so it depends on who drives it