Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer Cables

Cartoondude135 ยท 2019-08-16 06:22

I noticed typical box trailers have three cables, but special trailers like dump trailers for tractor trucks can have up to five cables! I was wondering.......... What exactly do the five cables on a dump trailer like this do? The same question applies to a straight Dump Truck's ( ) dump pup trailer.

Replies5
  1. #1Ronsii2019-08-16 08:34

    A lot of trailers only have one cable but you'll see some with extras for controlling/lighting more circuits than the 7way plug can handle like reverse lights on a pup or the gate, camera, tarp,etc....

  2. #2RZucker2019-08-16 22:51

    When wiring dump pups or belly dump trailers I prefer to have a separate harness to control gates, tongue locks, etc. A lot less chance for unintended load loss. I use guarded toggle switches too. Seen a couple of belly dumps loose a load from a bad ground in the 7 wire that backfed the dump valve when they used the blue wire in the 7 pin plug.

  3. #3mitch5042019-08-16 23:43

    I'm thinking he is including the air lines, (red and blue) and wetline hose in his "cables". A dump trailer will have a hydraulic hose to raise the bed, and maybe air hoses for the tailgate lock, and 2 wires for the electric tarp, in addition to the red and blue air brake lines, and the usually green or black wire cable for the lights that all heavy trailers have.

  4. #4Ronsii2019-08-17 01:32

    Yeah, I thought I typed something like that in my earlier post??? hmmmm, maybe I just dreamt it

  5. #5Cartoondude1352019-08-17 04:56

    That's correct, yes. A driver of a refer trailer truck said "Green for Electricity, Red for Park Brake, and Blue for Service Brake" when I asked what the cables do as I play American Truck Simulator. But answers vary from people to people.