Hey guys, looking at buying a transfer truck however, most all the ones I can find have the trailer that is an electric drive getting the box in to the truck. I've been told by quite a few guys to go with a hydraulic driven/chain type setup. My questions are: 1) can I convert an electric to hydraulic? 2) where would I find parts for this, i've done a ton of research and can't find a thing...might be because I don't have the technical names correct 3) how difficult would it be to convert that? Thanks for all the help past, present and future!!
Back in the stone age when I drove a Flintstone transfer, the electrics were kind of a friction drive and they tended to get hung up or slip now and then, which was annoying. Dead batteries were a common occurrence also. Air drive is also an option it seems, though I have never seen one. 1) Anything can be done with a torch, a welder, and a checkbook. 2) They're not rocket science, most parts could be purchased locally or over the internet, hydraulic units typically need a control valve, quick couplers, motor, couple shafts with pillow block bearings, chain and fabricated hook setup. 3) would depend on the trailer if there was room for the chain to run and the components, not all that hard I shouldn't think.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know what the technical name is for the assembly? I've tried google searching everything but just can't seem to find anything regarding parts for it, only trailers that are stock chain drive.
I don't believe that part is an assembly, just individual parts of the trailer, they're manufactured differently specifically for whichever transfer system is ordered. Might give Reliant a call, when I dealt with them they were very helpful, maybe they can give you some ideas. What are you looking to spend on a truck? Whereabouts in Oregon are you, I'm in Coos Bay.
I'm located in Grants Pass. I figured I'd have to give them a call with dimensions etc to get each part. I'm looking at going no more than $40k for a truck. I don't mind some older mid to late 80s models as they are easier to work on. The newer stuff is too expensive and if it is computer crap I don't want to deal with that. If you hear of anything let me know. Thanks!
Just a stone's throw as they say. I will holler if I run across anything.
A soapstone's throw away lol! Thanks lantrax, appreciate it!
I drove Transfer w/elec... Mack w/Reliance Boxes Never had a problem with it... You wanna be on Flat ground... or heading downhill. Gotta Fly...
Never seen any flat ground in our part of the world, and of course level or not, it's always wet!
Really....... I've lived in Oregon... I saw plenty success... it comes in cans
Look on youtube for 'transfer truck competition' see what they're running, dayum.
Any of you guys have experience running a transfer with an air drive vs electric? I've heard they are crap but if that's the case I can't imagine it'd be very difficult to switch it over to electric from air? Electric to hydraulic might be a bit of a challenge but I think with air to electric it's just a matter of installing a drive motor and some wiring?
Never seen an air. All the electrics I've seen basically drive one axle with the wheels that run on the rails of the trailer, essentially a friction drive, which can be their downfall. The battery sets in a pocket at the front of the tub. The hydraulics are a long chain loop front to back on the trailer driven from the rear sprocket, with a positive locking hook setup to grab the transfer bed to suck it out of the truck bed, or push it up into the truck bed.
I've never seen air before but everyone I've talked to said they are crap. I found a truck but it's air. The owner said he had electric and went back to air because he preferred it over electric...could just be saying that since he wants to get rid of it but not sure. Just seems like converting it from air to electric wouldn't be very hard since I believe I can find the parts on reliance.
Air starters are Expensive... at least they used to be,,, in 1980 it was about $600 .
So from what the guy said... Are the Battery cables still in place by the air starter ? . .