Lost the DT466E in my '01 4900 service truck last week - coolant through the liner. I've just started hauling my 12k forklift and the combined gross on it, the trailer, and the truck is 41k, so 215 hp didn't go too far. I took the opportunity to upgrade the engine and have a 330 hp / 950 ft-lbs DT530E that just arrived, and am checking out transmission options. Current trans is an Eaton 6406A synchronized 6-speed, works fine but it probably isn't going to hold up to the new power for long and the reverse is a little high for backing a loaded trailer. Oh yeah, 4.33 gears and 22.5 rubber. EDIT to add the DT530E is governed to 2200 RPM. Might need to have an OD high gear. So I'm wondering if the 4000 series trucks were available with HD twin-countershaft transmissions. I'm not talking about the smaller RT-6613, I mean something rated at 950 ft-lbs plus. So the issues I'm asking about are: 1. SAE bellhousings - I assume I'd need a different one than what's on the little 6-speed. 2. Clutches - Don't know anything about push vs pull, sizing diameter, clutch brakes, etc. 3. Does a HD twin countershaft trans physically fit between the rails on one of these trucks? 4. Any suggestions on transmission itself would be great. The easier ones to find used are out of road tractors, which is why I'm wondering if it'd be possible / hurt anything to put in a transmission rated at 1200 ft-lbs or more. The truck will spend 90 percent of its time without a trailer attached, just pulling itself. I live in the Allegheny mtns of VA, and I do cross the mountains from time to time. I haven't spent much time with an unsynchronized transmission, so will be learning. Thanks for your thoughts / advice.
A 9513 roadranger will fit fine in your frame, The proper bell housing and input shaft will be easy to get. The 13 spd will give you overdrive when you want it, otherwise drive it like a 9 spd. Too late now, but I had the trans you probably could use, 9513 with a small bell housing and a 1.75" input shaft, came off a 6-71 Detroit Diesel. One other thing to watch is the placement of the shift tower, there is a forward mount and a rearward mount. Just a matter of changing the top cover to match your floor opening.
Yes, ran across mention of the RTO-9513; there's an RTOF-9513 on ebay right now hooked to a 6-71. What about the newer 13's that I'm more likely to run across in my area? Something like an RTO-14613, etc? Assuming I can find an SAE #1 flywheel housing for my engine, because I know they were made, are these also an option?
The 14613 is more than likely overkill. I know of a 1967 Peterbilt with a 12V71 running a 9513 and the transmission is still hanging in there after all these years.
Yeah, I get that I don't need anything more than a 9513. The question has more to do with the transmissions I'm going to find locally, which are going to be the more modern stuff rated for the more modern engines with more torque. Far as I know the 9513 hasn't been made in a long time. I took the tail end of this afternoon and went out to our one local heavy truck boneyard, but no 9513's to be found.
Yes, even the 14613 will fit between your frame rails. A pull-type clutch will be your best bet so you can use a clutch brake to get it into gear. Any industrial clutch outfit should be able to set you up. And you will want to add a rear support to the transmission, usually it's a leaf spring affair that bolts on top of the trans and sits on angle brackets in the frame rail. The truck shop doing your engine swap should be able to get it all squared away for you. Should be a pretty nice rig when you're done. Just keep the exhaust clamps in alignment.
Ah? The internet is a small world. Obviously we both go by different names elsewhere.