Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dumpster in a bag

cat320 ยท 2007-07-14 10:23

Has anyone seen this yet? I have been seeing it more and more with tv ads showing you buying a bag at your hardware/home improvement store filling it up then they come and get it. cost of bag $30 cost of removal as i saw it posted at my lumber yard was $139 does not look like it will hold a hell of alot . anyone use one yet?

Replies14
  1. #1surfer-joe2007-07-14 11:14

    Haven't seen that one yet? I have two big plastic buckets on wheels that the local sanitation district provides. I fill them up, they come and get them twice a week. Pretty slick, no?

  2. #2Ford LT-90002007-07-14 19:43

    I haven't seen anything like you described but I can't see it holding much. What do they come and get it with a truck with a moffit forkift or a truck with a crane on it ? The way most people get rid of stuff that isn't wood or metal is put it into regular garbage bags easy to handle. We can get old bulk feed bags they are used to carry animal feed they are make out of a wolven fabric the bottom is tied off with a rope. The top has lifting eyes made from wolven fabric. You can fill them with garbage but the landfill doesn't take those bags.

  3. #3CascadeScaper2007-07-14 19:47

    Are people getting lazier or what? $140 for removal fee plus $30 for a bag? That's a few pickup loads to the dump by my calculations.

  4. #4cat3202007-07-14 20:02

    the commercial shows a crain truck picking it up. The bags do not look that big from one i have seen driving by.here is a link http://dumpsterinabag.com/faq_page.htm I notice the fees in the link are alot cheaper than i have seen posted in real life .

  5. #5Ford LT-90002007-07-14 20:10

    For me that would be 1 trip to the landfill inlcluding dump fees depending on the material. Hauled a load of wood to the dump today 2200lbs was 135 dollars in dump fees charged the guy 70 bucks to haul the material. It costs more to pay at the dump than it does anything else price of scrap wood went from 70 bucks a ton to 135 bucks a ton. Regular garbage is up to 90 bucks a ton. The most expensive is drywall at 260 dollars a ton but if its got wet or has stuff attached to the drywall like wall tiles its 500 dollars a ton to get rid of. I'am really lucky that I have been dealing with the municipal dump for 15 years so I get away with a few things. Recycling is a big thing for us. Any large amounts of cardboard goes to the recycling depot same with clean paper or newspaper. Scrap metal if its clean a few guys take it. Pop bottles and cans all have a good refund so its worth cashing them in. I save my water bottles and cans and when I get 30 dollars worth (about 4 garbage bags) I take them in. Newspaper is saved up and taken to the recyclers its 5 bucks to get rid of at the landfill its free at the recyclers.

  6. #6digger242j2007-07-14 20:13

    Uhhhhh....Yes!

  7. #7Steve Frazier2007-07-14 23:56

    They had these bags on display at the Big E last year, they look like they'd hold 4 to 5 yards of debris.

  8. #8d4c24a2007-07-15 04:26

    hippobag we have a similiar product in the uk it has been running for a few years http://www.hippobag.co.uk/product/default.asp but lazy people still drive out into the sticks and dump their rubbish in gateways just to avoid the que at the aminety tip cheers graham

  9. #9CoolRide2007-07-15 15:18

    Hahahah thank goodnes for me! Almost everybody I have hauled for has owned a pickup, they just didnt/dont want to do it themselves.

  10. #10CM19952007-07-15 17:32

    Very interesting idea. I think there could be a good market for this from small contractors and homeowners. This could be a nice addition to our dumpster business. Good thread, thanks for the info.

  11. #11thejdman042007-07-17 19:33

    I agree seems high, and not hold a whole lot

  12. #12CM19952007-07-17 20:19

    And that is why I like the idea, if people will buy it.

  13. #13capt_met2007-07-17 20:30

    these bags look very similar to the bags we use for garbage in the offshore oil industry. don't be fooled they are very strong. we routinely load up to 2 tons in the bags we use. the shape is diffrent to allow for easier access and i guess larger items but it looks like the material is the same. i think they could be an option in some instances. whether that is enought to cover the expenses involved for doing it as a bussiness would be another subject.

  14. #14Ford LT-90002007-07-17 22:17

    The only problem I see with them is sure you can carry them home but you still need to fill the bag in a area where the truck with the hiab can get at it. Essentially the bag isn't that convenient all you do is save some money over hiring a person with a mini bin service. I can see someone with no common sense put the bag on their porch load it up and the porch colaspes. I have been in the junk removal business since I was 16 I started with a 1/2 ton. I work for alot of old people that can't do the physical labour. When your 70 years old it is alot of work moving 2000lbs of junk. Some jobs I have done your packing 4000lbs worth of junk up flights of stairs. From the basement to the truck is 1000 feet away. The easiest thing to carry junk in is a plastic garbage can. It is amazing how much junk some people have got in basments and crawl spaces. Once they start digging through it they hum and haw if they want to keep things. If you haven't needed it in 20 years get rid of it I haven't found the pot of gold or the wallet full of money in the 15 years of junk removal