Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I know this isn’t “Heavy Equipment, but….

JD Stokes ยท 2007-07-15 21:03

Hey guys, I had a bad day helping a friend remove a 18" at the stump Spruce Pine that had fell into a lake which blocked both his view and the ability to get the boat into the water. The tree was about 80' long and been in the water about 10 months. My problem/question.... While in the water standing in a small row boat cutting branches and sending to my wife on shore, somehow or another....you guessed it....I found myself in the lake. Yes the saw was running and it did go to the bottom. The saw is a 044 Stihl. It's the best saw I ever owned and would like to still use it. My question is; what should I do besided changing the fluids, air filter and replace the spark plug. When I was able to look at it, the carb was full of water, but the combustion chamber was dry. I pulled the coard a few times to see if any water would come out of the spark plug hole, but none did. So, what would you do if this was your saw? I was thinking about taking it to the repair shop, but I can do anything they can do. I just need to know what to do. Thanks for any help. I can't be the first dummy to have done such a thing....well maybe. Dave Stokes

Replies18
  1. #1atgreene2007-07-15 21:07

    Clean it, drain the gas, pull the plug, turn it over with the plug out them maybe some light oil in the cylinder. Dry the rest off with a blowdryer and with anyluck it will fire back-up. If the electronics got water in them they may need to be replaced, but I doubt it. See if it has spark. Other than that, give it a go.

  2. #2BrianHay2007-07-15 21:16

    I have never drowned a saw like that but have drown my dirtbikes many times and I can't see them being much different. I did the same things atgreene mentioned and they fired right back up. Ran trouble free for a long time after...well atleast until the next time I drowned them anyways lol

  3. #3JD Stokes2007-07-15 21:34

    Thanks for the quick reply I will do that in the AM. I think I'm worried about the electronics. I just feel stupid for doing this. The funny part is, the land owner had just come down for a look to see how things were going. When I came up for air, she said "I see I'd better go now." I thought she was right. As I'm doing this as a favor. It's the hardest job I've done since I can remember. Guess it's a good thing I have a short memory. I always find myself getting in over my head. Thanks again for the quick responce. Dave

  4. #4BrianHay2007-07-15 21:43

    As an after thought. Don't try and fire her up until you are sure the electronics are completely dry. Putting power to them before they are dry may damage them.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2007-07-16 00:01

    I laughed my ass off when I saw that line, sorry, it was just too funny! I'd pull the plug and stick a blow gun in the hole and blow it out. That's about all I can add.

  6. #6Lashlander2007-07-16 02:22

    Although I haven't done it myself I've seen 3 Stihls go in the ocean while running. The first thing I did was go find fresh water and hose them down. Pull the carb off and rinse with fresh water and blow it out with air. Drain the gas. Pull the spark plug and crank it over until no gas or water is present. Dry the rest of the saw with air. Put it back together and fire it up. Run it easy for a few minutes and then run it like you stole it. The crankcase scavenges with new oil and gas and pushes any water out of your bearings. All three saws are still running and one has been for over 10 years. Heres why I've seen three saws go in the drink.

  7. #7RonG2007-07-16 05:05

    I caught that too Steve..........had to smile as I know it was an innocent (wasn't it?) statement. I would add that he might pick up some tips on a boat site like Iboats,they seem to have just about everything covered there.Dumping an outboard used to be very common and barring damage from a hydrostatic lock they almost always ran after a good drying out and new fuel.Ron G

  8. #8guest2007-07-16 09:16

    Not exactly the same but my sons turned our '86 Honda 4 wheeler over into a pond. As it was floating upside down they were swimming around using it as a raft. I got it out of the water as quick as possible and drained fuel and oil, then blew carb, tank, and crankcase out with air. Used WD-40 to displace water in carb and tank filled crankcase with oil and fired it up. Had to change oil 3 times before it quit getting milky, but it stills runs to this day that was 5 years ago. A 2-cycle engine should be much easier to get dried out the key thing is to do it as soon as you can. WD-40 displaces water you might want to flush crankcase out with it, it's cheap and should not hurt anything. I have a Stihl 044 myself great saw.

  9. #9LowBoy2007-07-16 10:00

    Tell me guest...did you displace anything in your sons behind with your workboot after this?:cool2

  10. #10jboettcher2007-07-16 12:34

    Wet Chain Saw Ok Here are two different approaches to a wet piece of equipment. I'm a Duck Hunter and a hard duck hunter. I can't tell you how many two cycle outboard motors I have sunk in all kinds of water for various lenghts of time. My last one was a small 15hp evenrude which was sunk from December 31st. of last day of duck season to May of this year. This one also has electronic ignition. If it's just for a few minutes or hours just pull the plugs out and put in what ever oil or wd-40 you have around. TURN IT OVER A FEW TIMES AND THEN JUST START AND RUN IT. IT WILL BE JUST FINE. If it's been in, like my last one for months, just do the same. Only let the wd-40 or oil work for a day or two, then by hand slowly turn the motor over to free up rings. Once it's turning easily just put freash gas to it and start and run. These things (including chain saws) are tough. Now my uncle, who is 89 years old has a different tack. He also has sunk his 60 horse a couple of times and feels he has to take it too a dealer and spend 2-3 hundred dollars. He doesn't know it but we have sunk his (duck hunting hard) a couple of times and just pull it out and keep on going. Your choice! Myassitis from Missouri

  11. #11guest2007-07-16 12:58

    No Lowboy I am not to tough on them oldest was 11 at the time but he did help me get it going, fetch tools and such. Now his mama was a different story. I was an only child growing up on a ranch closest neighbor 5 mi. if something got broke it was either me or my border collie and he would not ever take any responsibility. Two boys do get into to more than one. Dad always said if you had one boy you had a hand, two you had half a hand, three you had no help at all.

  12. #12JD Stokes2007-07-16 20:44

    I want to thank each and everyone of you.... Hey guys, This morning I got the saw out and had a closer look. I emptied the fuel and oil, pulled the plug and gave it a few pulls and water was ejected. I pulled until I couldn't see any water vapor from the spark plug hole. I installed a new plug, changed the air filter. I removed the bar and cleaned/blew out everything that looked like it shouldn't be there. Long story short, I filled the saw with oil and fuel and with two pulls....it fired right up, just like it liked going swimming. We'll see how it works in a day or so when I go back to finish the tree. It's funny how things work out. Another neighbor that would bennifit from the tree being gone but with no obligation to spend any money came over and gave me a check for $100 just to help out. I didn't really know what to say. Some people....go figure. Thanks again for all the help. This board is the best. Dave Stokes

  13. #13Squizzy246B2007-07-16 20:49

    Keep running it Dave, you want the fuel oil mix to get right through the crancase and stop any rust forming. The big end bearing is typically a bunch of needle rollers or a whitemetal shell. It will corroded if you don't give it some use.

  14. #14BrianHay2007-07-16 20:50

    Right on Dave :thumbsup happy it worked for you

  15. #15LowBoy2007-07-16 21:20

    Your Dad was a pretty good man by the sounds of it, guest!

  16. #16LowBoy2007-07-16 21:26

    Squizzy's right on, Dave...the crank bearings especially need to displace any water or prohibit corrosion. Run it like you stole it, to get the fuel mixture circulated completely, and next time, bring a johnboat and a rope to tie yourself off...:thumbsup

  17. #17thejdman042007-07-17 19:43

    gas air filter, pull the plug pull it over a few times, put some oil in there pull it a few times.

  18. #18JD Stokes2007-07-17 20:58

    Thanks again guys This is my favorite saw. It's a bit heavy, but I use it for limbing to cutting the bigest tree. This saw has never let me down. Over the last 10 or so years I've had the saw, I've run 30 to 40 gallon judges of bar&chain oil through it. My next favorite and the first "real" saw I bought, is my 028 Super. It's hard to beat this saw. The 044 is I'm sure the best saw I'll own. I would like to have the small 12"-14" German made Stihl. I think it's a 020 T. They cost about $700 5-6 years ago. It's the best small saw Stihl makes I believe. With this saw, my arms wouldn't have to be so big....yea right. Thanks again guys. You all are the best. Dave