Ran this 20 for 5 years in the 60's building interstate 25 and 40 in NM will add more pic when i figure out how to down size them
Did it for ya! Glad I could help...classic iron! Alan
Alan627B - did you get hold of a First Gear DW20E yet ?
I'd like to but I'm earning a lot less than I used to. Just got my 666 though...I want to get one of the CCM D9H's and a First Gear 1/50 HD21 soon. Xmas is coming...
Thanks My Friend
Another DW 20 from the 60's Hard to take the old memories away, this was back in the day when there was lots of work, and Hands seemed to enjoy there work. You worked hard and played hard!!
I operated a DW20 88E in NM. Roaded 3 of them for Universal Constructors from Albuquerque to the NASA project at white sands via Las Cruces. Left at daylight ,same time as the lowboy hauling a D-9. All the DW20s arrived before the D9. That was in 1963 as I recall and close to 200 miles.
I worked for Universal I remember the Dw20s of Universals, Shorty some body ran one of them for years, I ran one of their SS24s on I25 south of Socorro,NM in 63 or 64, lot of Old Memories.
Dw20'a 1960's NM Here some old 67c 20's working in NM in the 1960's on interstate 40 west of ABQ, they're getting pushed by a 46A D8H and a 14A D8
DW20's are my favorite scrapers! We had three of them and two DW21's building flood control and soil conservation dams. The only problem with the 20's was they had 482 scrapers which the scraper tires would track outside the tractor tires making it a hard pull in sand or any real loose dirt. I loved the way they sound, Them turbos would start winding up and sound like you could pull the world.
Your right Tvan, seemed like most operators back then, took alot more pride in there work. Also there was no plastic on these machines, if it was 100 degrees the steel was 150 easy. made you appreciate cool evening in the summer. some made you appreciate the heat at the house in the Winter!
I have a youtube video from a home video that my brother in law made.Later in the video it shows him on a DW20 with doubles on "THE BIG CUT" in California.Thought you all might be interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45GRECeer0
Here is a home video I put on youtube of my brother in law.First is a Euclid TSS40 on the California Aqueduct and later Caterpillar DW20 with doubles on the "Big Cut" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45GRECeer0
My brother in law operated a DW20 back in the 50's that had doubles
Here is a home video of different jobs he worked on.First is a Euclid TSS40 on the California Aqueduct and later The DW20 with doubles on the "Big Cut" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45GRECeer0
Sounds like one of the Shepherd conversions with an extra PCU mounted in front of the radiator. Think they used to pull Cat No.80's & LeTourneau FU's & W's. Mean looking rigs but you would need a football field to turn one around in.
Here is a home movie of his I put on youtube.The DW20 with doubles is later in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45GRECeer0
I put his home movie on youtube but this forum won't let me post the link.Too bad,it's really good too.
Try link one more time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45GRECeer0
For those that want to see it,go to youtube,type in plowman58 and look for MURLS VIDEO.You won't be sorry
Gary, I apologize on behalf of HEF (yet again, for something that isn't my fault) for you not being able to post that excellent video. I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's something in the software, that was apparently added during the last upgrade, that catches links posted by newer members, and puts them in a list of posts that need approval by a moderator. It's an anti-spam device. I THOUGHT I'd found it and turned it off, because, while it has caught a handful of spam posts, it catches a whole lot more legitimate posts by guys like you who are enthusiastic about sharing the good stuff they have. Because I thought I'd got it turned off, I hadn't checked for those posts awaitng moderation. Obviously, the damn thing has a mind of its own. I checked this morning, and approved all of your attempts to post that link, which is why it now appears here multiple times. I really appreciate how hard you tried to post that link. :notworthy (I left the duplicate posts, because everyubody else should also appreciate how hard you worked at it.) It must've been very frustrating when it wouldn't work for you. Again, please accept our apologies. If it makes you feel any better, I'm getting pretty frustrated with the way this stupid forum is working myself. :Banghead
Thanks digger,no problem,I understand the reason.I kept at it and suceeded.By the way, loving HEF
why dont they make new scrapers that will run as fast as these did. I have a cousin that has a 67c and it will run 50 mph on a good road.