Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Quad 9 & 641’s in Alaska

Tvan ยท 2010-11-22 15:53

Here are some pictures of Quad 9 and old hard neck 641's on a railroad job in Anchorage 2001

Replies58
  1. #1Vantage_TeS2010-11-22 16:00

    You need to figure out how to make those bigger, cause I wanna see! Feel free to email them to me, vantagetes @ gmail.com

  2. #2Dozerboy2010-11-22 18:38

    X2:d

  3. #3Gavin84w2010-11-23 05:03

    x3, look like good quality pics too from a great era in dirt moving.

  4. #4JTL2010-11-23 13:46

    I have a dollar that says those machines have a Wilder Construction sticker on them and Mr. Randy Kreig was somewhere on that job. Is everybody as mad as me about the whole re-sizing pictures thing?

  5. #5DirtHauler2010-11-23 13:51

    Scarsella Bros got their old quad 9s running again last year. I hear they used them in Eastern Wa somewhere. They are back in the yard in Kent Wa now. I know for a fact they sat for at LEAST 10 years prior to last year.

  6. #6hvy 1ton2010-11-23 16:56

    I thought that Randy worked for Cruz? Also why are the called Quad 9's? Looks like there are only 2. Is it because they have four tracks?

  7. #7JTL2010-11-23 19:48

    Randy used to work for Wilder. I think I recall seeing some pictures he posted over at DHS some years ago of this and or other projects with the quads running. The quad name came about just like you think, becasue of the four tracks. Dirthauler, Scarcella still has the same two sets of quads sitting in Lind that have been there since they finished hiway 395 12 years ago or so. I went by their yard just last week and they were still sitting there. A good friend of mine was working for them this summer on a big scraper show in Spokane, but he didnt say anything about quads. I'll be a little upset with him if he didnt tell me about them!

  8. #8Deeretime2010-11-23 22:42

    OOOOO this is more exciting than waiting to open presents on christmas. ..... I will wait patiently opcorn

  9. #9John C.2010-11-24 01:27

    As I recall I've seen two sets of quads in Scarcella's yard in Kent. I know they got one set running last spring but I don't know if they hauled them out. I haven't been to Lind in a long while but I don't remember seeing a set there. I wouldn't be surprised though as they have a bunch of big scrapers there.

  10. #10DirtHauler2010-11-24 01:40

    I was in Scarsella's yard 2 weeks ago for a load securment class the Teamsters held there and saw 1 set of quad 9s. One of the lowboy drivers said they used them this summer east of the mountains. It is entirely possible they have more than one set. I was told these are left over from the 1967 2nd Sea-Tac runway project. They have photos on their website http://www.scarsellabros.com/ Check out the Kent yard here, lots of iron: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...271,-122.22363&spn=0.001629,0.006067&t=h&z=18 I think this is 2 sets of the quads in the lind yard: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...=T0r2EhcqhecK7uX7GbRyQA&cbp=12,194.04,,0,8.09 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=XdePkv0aVCJ9cYBCZhIrxQ&cbp=12,171.84,,0,7.82

  11. #11WColtharp2010-11-24 11:10

    DirtHauler, thanks for that link! What an impressive yard of equipment..

  12. #12Tvan2010-11-24 15:26

    Half Right You are half right, they are Wilder, but Randy wasn't there until the very end of the job,scrapers were pretty well done when he arrived.

  13. #13buckfever2010-11-24 18:21

    are the quad nine's attached to each other or is one just pushing against the other? Also why do you need 2 dozers to push 1 pan?

  14. #14JimBruce422010-11-24 18:54

    They are attached. When the quad and SxS D9's were made, the largest dozer cat had was a D9g, When pushin 651's and 666's one D9 wasn't gonna be big enough and the SxS D9 had the largest blade and Hp in the lineup until the introduction of the D11r CD. At least that's what I've read:drinkup

  15. #15EGS2010-11-24 20:34

    We double and triple push our 631's all the time. Gets them out of the cut a lot faster.

  16. #16DirtHauler2010-11-24 20:58

    In the interest of the quad 9 i wrangled up some pix from various threads for you.

  17. #17DirtHauler2010-11-24 21:00

    The Scarsella sets that are sitting at lind. and more.

  18. #18Tvan2010-11-24 21:47

    close up of quad 9 hitch a picture 0f Quad 9 hitch, It looks like a big trailer hitch ball that it hooks to, the controls are Air over Manual just 1 stick for steering and the position you have your steering stick will sent the air to the opposite side on back tractor, Clear as Mud???

  19. #19DirtHauler2010-11-24 21:51

    Tvan, Love the photos, please post more if you have them. Also, would it be possible for you to either upload larger images or email the images to me and i will upload them larger for you if your having trouble with larger images. Thanks. Dumptrucking []at[] comcast.net

  20. #20Tvan2010-11-24 21:54

    Dd9h only DD9H i ever seen Kiewit had one in Fairbanks when they developed Fort Knox Gold-mine in 98-99

  21. #21580bruce2010-11-24 21:55

    I used to work with Dan Walls wife,he still a foreman for Scarsella?I did a lot of hydroseeding for them,great outfit.

  22. #22Tvan2010-11-24 22:00

    Be sending to ya I'll email some to you I have Lots, most all my photos are high end digital don't know how to get them down to the 640x640 it keeps telling me to do, open for help, that's what happens when you spend 50 years sniffing blsck smoke!!!

  23. #23DirtHauler2010-11-24 22:16

    REPOSTING FOR Tvan.

  24. #24DirtHauler2010-11-24 22:48

    more for Tvan:

  25. #25malcolm2010-11-25 01:03

    photos Thanks for your efforts with the photos guys love those those original action shots cheers malcolm

  26. #26Gavin84w2010-11-25 04:28

    Very nice shots indeed, if they can be made larger i would love to recieve them via email. Thanks

  27. #27buckfever2010-11-25 09:50

    now I understand thats a lot of power behind those pans. Did they only double up with the H model D-9's or did they use newer higher HP models also. Did the push blade have to be beefed up to handle all that power. they look like a blast to operate. all that power at the tip of your fingers.:notworthy

  28. #28JTL2010-11-25 11:15

    Unforntunaly Caterpillar did away with the DD9 and SXS9 in about 1980? when the D10 came out on the market, followed by the other high drive machines; the 9L and 8L. If memory serves me Cat only built like 13 paris of 9H quads, and around 40 9G quads, not to count the half dozen Pertersen machines. People still doubled up the push cats though, now it just reguires two operators. Im pretty sure the push blades were pretty standard from the factory, but the contractors, as always, ended up beefing them up to handle the abuse. Im really surprized that nobody has paired up any of the newer machines to be quads for pushing scrapers. But I quess if you can buy a 10 or an 11 you would'nt need to! I have never been pushed by quads, but from what the guys say, and I belive it, two 9's with seperate operators will never be able to hook up as fast as one quad. You have 700 to 800 plus hosepower at once. More track on the ground, which relates to more tractive effort at once. And with that cylinder on the front, you can use it to adjust the down pressure and ballance between the two Cats. There is no lag time waiting on the rear skinner to catch the front Cat. I dont care how fast the back skiner is, or how close you try to stay to the front Cat, there is still a human error factor involved. Wrong gear choice when contact is made, backing of the throtle for just a split as you bouce over the squirel tracks left by the front Cat. One plus to having two operators though-if one guy has to get out of line and do some "dust controll", the scrapers are still getting pushed!

  29. #29Tvan2010-11-25 13:04

    Well Said Well said my friend, can tell you been there done that!!!

  30. #30typ42010-11-25 14:33

    Great pics, I had heard of these but never saw one.

  31. #31AK HDM2010-11-25 15:23

    That Quad & 641's used to belong to Alaska Unlimited out of Fairbanks. Wilder bought the scraper spread in the late 1980's. MB Contracting out of Anchorage had a Quad & a fleet of 651b's, I don't know where MB' stuff went when it was auctioned several years ago. Green Construction had a Quad up here years ago along with 651's 657's & 660's.

  32. #32Randy Krieg2010-11-25 15:48

    Old Memories Great pictures! Great Memories! That is the same Wilder unit which I ran on the Seward Hwy project and on the King River job. That is also the same unit which I built two models of. I gave the one to a Superintendent as a retirement gift and the other is sitting in my theatre room at home. Mr. Van is correct I only spent about 1 week on that project right at the very end doing a little blade work. I was on another hwy project further north that year. I recognize Salauch Burke at the controls in the one picture. I also spent a few too many hours on those same 41s when I was with Wilder. No wonder my back MRI looks like old pretzel. The winter after the King River Job I had to get an L5/S1 Nerve Root Block done on my back and always figured it was bouncing over all those rocks in the King River Pit on that Quad that did the trick. Regard, Randy

  33. #33Cletus2010-11-25 16:57

    Your Making Me Dig For Pictures! Big Delta 1974 Friday, paycheck in pocket, no direct deposit back then!

  34. #34JTL2010-11-26 00:10

    Well thanks! I've done that a time or two. One thing I never understood though, when running two pushers, is why the front Cat is always the front Cat, and the rear is always the rear. As the rear push Cat operator, I would get waved off by the front operator when the scraper was pulling out of the cut. (After about an hour the first day, I was able to feel it.) I would grab 3rd reverse and rattle back past the next scraper that was easing into the cut, a few seconds ahead of the front pusher. The first couple times, I would just swing in behind the can and pick him up, then I thought the other skinner would grab me as he came back. The first time it went fine. The second time, he stopped, looked at me with a very upset look, pointed to himself and hand gestured he was #1, then stopped to tell me when I came back after pushing the scraper. The super told me in firm words at lunch that I was the rear pusher and never really offered to much explaination. I finally figured it out after a couple days. Its all about the timing. By the time the front Cat got hooked up to me the scraper was over 3/4 loaded. Kind of a watse for him to hook up at that point, just to get waved off to run back and grab another buggy. We might as well been single pushing our own scrapers in the same cut. Even though it ment I was sitting for a couple seconds waiting on the front Cat, the time spent pushing was far less, and the scrapers never had to wait. I had never run twin push Cats till that job, never even been twin pushed till then, even on that job I had been running a 651 getting pushed by a 657. My 51 went down, a skinner quit and I steped up. After that, I cant understand why all scraper contractors dont double push. Thats the only way to load single engine buggys, unless its a steep downhill where you can self load and bring half the mountian down with you!

  35. #35Greg2010-11-26 10:58

    Only question I have is why do some of the DD9G setups have the fuel tank truned 90 degrees?

  36. #36Tvan2010-11-26 14:01

    I may be Wrong the 90 degree fuel tanks was on the Petersen Quads ( he is the man that put the first quads together then Cat bought his patient) I think ,could be wrong

  37. #37Tvan2010-11-26 14:09

    that's why they made Quads There is a little ego factor there, but also that timing thing when you're slug loading those big haulers, It may just be me but I think you need that power of 2 pushers even with 631's, isn't to bad in sandy loamy dirt, but you get in the heavier types of dirt you need the power to keep that dirt Alive in your scraper, cause once it dies you might as well pickup and go. My story and I'm sticking to it!

  38. #38Tvan2010-11-26 14:31

    Old Quads and 41's The Quad and 641's belonged to Kiewit first, we had them in Healy Canyon in the early 70's, they went to Nelchina in 73, 74, was phasing them out cause they were getting wore out, then to AU, then to Wilder, and now Granite has them stockpiled somewhere, they ran at Fort Greely in 2009. MB bought a Quad in the early 70's to go with there old 657's, then in 75 Goodfellow Bros brought in a fleet of 651B and a Quad, they did a stretch of road on the Glen Hwy and then they set parked for a couple of years, then MB bought the Quad and 651's, MB kept the 51's until 99 and sold them to somebody in Portland, the Quad that was Goodfellow and 1/2 of a Quad that MB had originally, went to Wilder. So Wilder Granite has 2 and 1/2 Quads, they got the front half that was MBs,the back half had been parted out. The Quad that Green Had went to ED Nieser(Frontier Const) when he went broke I think that quad went to the lower 48. The Best I Can Remember, could be wrong!!!

  39. #39EGS2010-11-26 17:51

    Jason, we always double or triple push our 631's. We do it like you first explained. The rear push cat gets the front in the next push and the front cat takes the rear in the next push and back and forth all day. The only time it doesn't work is with the ripper tractors. We aren't allowed to push on the rippers. The ripper tractor has to take the back all the time.

  40. #40Buckethead2010-11-26 17:58

    The only time I got to see double push cats was with S.J. Groves. That's exactly the way they did it, there was no designated front or back tractor, they alternated each pass.

  41. #41Gavin84w2010-11-27 00:41

    SoCal earthmovers has some great vids with a D10N & a D10T double pushing 651B,s in about 20 seconds getting big loads and the 2 dozer drivers are just so in sync, real plasure to watch. Alot of outfits down here have no belief in the benefits of the cushion blade what so ever for push loading scrapers and all the single power open bowls come into the cut and stop and wait for the tractor to back up and hook on with an SU blade.

  42. #42Greg2010-11-27 08:49

    Tvan, you are right. Buster Peterson developed the concept along with several other things. Cat did buy his patents. I still don't get the logic in the fuel tank turned 90 degrees.

  43. #43Buckethead2010-11-27 08:59

    Maybe for visibility when sitting on the front?

  44. #44Gavin84w2010-11-27 17:35

    Exactly.

  45. #45surfer-joe2010-11-27 23:02

    Would like to read a bit from an operator that has run the quads pushing scrapers. I've seen several of these setups, but never had an opportunity to run one. Double pushing with D9's and 10's is old hat however. Plenty of seat time doing that.

  46. #46surfer-joe2010-11-27 23:19

    Have pushed both ways. Mostly depends on what's on back of the pushcats though. Gotta have a pushin-cushion, though I have seen and done some pushing against ripper frames. Not a great idea however. Have also used D8-D9 combinations, D9-HD41 Combos, and D10-D355 setups.

  47. #47JDOFMEMI2010-11-28 00:36

    Joe How did the D10-D355 combo work. I haven't been around but 1 355 that was working, and if it was any representation, the D10 would have spent a lot of time waiting for the 355 to catch up. Now the D375's I have seen were regular speed demons.

  48. #48Tvan2010-11-28 15:24

    Quad seat time I started out on a quad in NM for Kiewit in 67, was brought in almost new from AZ, had just finished a job at Flagstaff, they brought it and some 41's and 51's, they were phasing out there 41's and getting new 51's this was before the cushion ride and 8 speeds, we were building a piece of interstate 40 east of abq, anyway most of the dirt was pre-water barrow pits, and with PKS you Chain loaded everything, load thur the pit and turn at the end and load the other way, had a pit pitboss walking right beside the scrapers and he would flag you out in 15 to 18 seconds, got to remember was picking these scrapers on the run full tilt 3rd gear and about the time you went to 2nd you were gone, 16 blade in the pit at all times only place it was rough was were you were loading, that was in the good ole days!!!!! very little chain loading in Alaska, lot of side by side, lot harder on the pusher and under carriage jumping in and out of cut, Had a Old 4man tell me one time those scrapers have tires, they will come to you instead of you going to them!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to IT!!!

  49. #49ke6gwf2010-12-05 05:40

    Well, I finally know what a Quad 9 is! Learn something new every day... Since I want to see more pictures, I'll tell you how I resize. rofessor I am partial to Picasa, and use the desktop program to manage and edit all my pictures, and the Web service for sharing. You can also get a plugin that allows you to upload to Facebook directly from Picasa. If you install Picasa, it will scan your computer and show you all the pictures (yes, all of them, you have been warned! You know which ones you forgot where you stashed! :ban You can exclude folders from being scanned, and hide pictures if you need to), then it is easy to select the ones you want to use using the CTRL key, or click-dragging, etc. Before selecting them, you can do any cropping or adjustments you need (try the Fill Light slider! It's a miracle worker for dark pictures). Once you have them selected, either select Upload to send them to PicasaWeb, or Export if you just need to resize them, and then you can select the size you want them to end up. (640x480) If you Export them, they end up in a folder that you can then upload from. I upload any interesting pics to my PicasaWeb albums, and then use the links from them to crossload to my post. By doing that, I can have hundreds of pics shared, and then just post the best here, but include the link for the rest. Best of both worlds! That may sound complicated, but that's just because I am the one explaining it! Install the program, and the rest is cake. Another good one is InfranView. It does batch resizing, and is a good program to have anyway since it will open most any image file type. But I never use it! Picasa is the Caterpillar of the Image Management world. It will do most anything it does better than most, but some just don't like it! (oh, and it doesn't cost more than the rest. It's free in fact!) InfranView is kinda like a TeleHandler... It can do so many things, but it isn't the best way to do some of them. This toot-tore-eel has been brought to you by the letter G and the letters wearetakingovertheworldbutwedonoevil and the numbers 6, 5,and 7. Ben~ (this is an old version)

  50. #50DirtHauler2010-12-05 06:15

    he uses a MAC, does this work with a MAC?

  51. #51ke6gwf2010-12-06 02:52

    If he has a new enough one! http://picasa.google.com/mac/ For Mac OS X 10.4.9+ Requires Intel CPU Apple's "Preview" image viewer will also resize, although it resizes the originals unlike Picasa which saves the smaller version. It is included with OS X. If he goes that route, make sure he copies the originals he wants to resize into a new folder. It will make selecting them simpler, and preserve the originals. After uploading them, he can delete the resized one if he wants. Here's an article explaining it: http://www.tiptrickmod.com/mac/why-preview-is-the-best-batch-photo-resizer-for-mac/ I would still recommend Picasa! Are there any options available for getting Auto-resize working on here again? Is it just a matter of the time to do it? Money? Research? Baksheesh? Anyone? . . . . . . . . . .:bash . . . . . . . . . . . . My^^Custom^^^Image^^Resizer^^ Ben~

  52. #52Tvan2010-12-06 20:36

    660's from the 60's Found these old pictures from my NM days in the 60's, these were just a year old 660 tractors and 650 cans

  53. #53Gavin84w2010-12-07 04:30

    Great pics Tom from a golden era, you can even see the RUST Cat dealer decals on there. Who was the owner of these?

  54. #54Tvan2010-12-07 18:38

    Schultz & Lindsey they were out of Billings, Mt and Fargo, ND they Brought a bunch of 88E DW20s down out of MT and some 641s out of Kanas, bought 2 660's New from Rust Tractor they stayed in NM for several years.

  55. #55X Quad Operator2012-01-07 19:59

    Love running the 600 series scrapers with out the canopies, it didnt feel like you were in a box. You ever get a chance to run a 666? Loved twins. Mike Nebergall

  56. #56Tvan2012-01-09 19:41

    Never had the chance to run a 666, Zacarary out of Texas brought some on a Rail Road job around SantaFe in about 66, had some friends worked there, but ever get the chance to my Great Disapointment, But those 60's would carry the mail, but they wouldn,t out run those 88E 20s with a Good 20 skinner on it. Old Memories

  57. #57ILLICEMAN2012-01-29 14:58

    If you are into models a great set of 9,s double pushers DD9 are coming out I believe in aroud Mar.Very detailed They also made some nice 660,s The pair will look great

  58. #58Tvan2012-01-30 02:10

    Thanks my Friend, will keep my eyes open, Thanks again