Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dynahoe 160 thoughts?

dannyboy86 · 2026-02-14 14:35

I went and looked at an old dynahoe 160 today, runs good and operates. The old 3-53 Detroit fires right up and runs good. Didn't notice too much play on the boom and pins. Cylinders look good and dry, hydraulic hoses have seen better days for sure, only one that leaks is on one of the outriggers. Curious on everyone's thoughts. He is wanting 5k for it. Attached a few pictures.

Replies9
  1. #1Tinkerer2026-02-14 16:17

    I have run both 160's an 190's. They are big, heavy and under-powered even when they were new. Replacement parts are hard to find for them. That one is a not worth more than scrap price. I would advise you to keep looking for something better.

  2. #2dannyboy862026-02-14 16:21

    Thanks Tinkerer! I will keep looking!

  3. #3DDoug2026-02-14 18:35

    FWIW near the end, the Dynahoes were made in Erie. Where in pa are you located ?

  4. #4dannyboy862026-02-15 14:38

    I'm in Artemas PA. The guy said he would take 4k now. Im just looking for something to use around my property.

  5. #5skyking12026-02-15 17:37

    He knows the story if he can get 4K for it now and it leaves his property, he's winning. To put that in perspective, you can rent a brand new machine about three times including delivery for the 4K. Looking at that angle you have to figure out what you want to do with it.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2026-02-15 19:57

    Do know any of the clingermans my wife grew up on gravity hill road. Im for up Johnstown way

  7. #7HarleyHappy2026-02-16 09:45

    If you’re just looking for a yard toy and only need to use it occasionally, it’s worth 4k if it runs and operates. Unless you need it for a specific and important job, like running 1500 feet of trench, it should serve well as a “better than a shovel and wheelbarrow” machine.

  8. #8dannyboy862026-02-20 15:09

    I do not know any Clingermans personally.

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-02-22 23:06

    That's an old machine from the 60's before Bucyrus Erie bought out Hy-Dynamic. I think even cylinder seals might be hard to find. I recall someone had trouble finding Dynahoe parts a few years ago. It will also be a very loud machine to operate. I'd look for an older Case machine or maybe a different brand depending on how old it is.