I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a setting or something that needs to be adjusted to make the swing brake stronger. When I swing the excavator left or right and left off the controls, it makes a da da da da sound. I just had problems with the swing brake not releasing and found a broken wire in the dash. So I ran it for a few hours with everthing working good, now the swing brake is doing this. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Hi, it sounds like the cross over relief are weak on the swing motor. I have ajusted them before and it really helps. The spec is 3350 +/-140 psi. I put the bucket on the ground and swing then check with a gauge and ajust. Good luck.
I was looking through my shop manual and it looks like it uses discs, pads, and springs in the swing motor to brake it. I don't think it uses hydraulic pressure for the swing brake, just to release it.
It uses the brakes to hold it not brake it. It uses dynamic braking to stop it, those little brakes in there would get torn up quite quick if it did use them. Do you see the two valves sticking out of the side of the swing motor closer to the top? Those are the crossover reliefs and I would check them before going into the motor. One is for left swing and one for right.
I haven't had a chance to look at them, but how easy is it to adjust the springs on the relief valves? Also wondering where you would hook up the gauge to test the PSI to properly adjust it? Thanks again.
It is fairly easy, there should be two test ports near the pump, I cant remember which one is which but hook up your gauge and only swing, it should show on one gauge and not the other. Just loosen the jam nut and adjust the screw. It should adjust without too much turns, if it doesnt then you may need to change the valve. It could have a week spring or a pounded out popet but you should be able to get at least some adjustment.