Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

E361-3 High Engine Coolant Temperature – Cat 299D2 (Temp is 176 F)

uglyguy · 2023-07-18 09:28

Another issue, Seams like when I get one thing fixed another problem occurs. Cat Skid Steer was started from a cold start - Ramped rpm's up to 25% and threw a Error Code E361-3 High Engine Coolant Temperature Engine Temp is 176 F (See attached Picture) - Thought the temperature needed to be 230F for it to throw a code. Radiator should be clean, just power washed it and installed in Cat Coolant when we replaced Turbo. Model - 2018 Cat 299D2 XHP SERIAL NUMBER: DX203342 Any Suggestions? Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1D6braun2023-07-20 03:27

    Can you use an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of the block near the thermostat (Engine Temperature Regulator as CAT calls it). Or can you measure the temp at/nearby the coolant temperature sensor. Just to verify that you don’t have a sensor issue. This recently helped me out in diagnosing a bad sensor in my CAT 323 excavator. Seems like it might apply here as well. Can also take resistance readings of the sensor at a know temperature like at an ambient temperature before the machine is started to see if it is within spec.

  2. #2Nige2023-07-20 15:25

    That is correct. E361-3 activates at 230 DegF.

  3. #3uglyguy2023-07-25 08:58

    I do have a infrared thermometer. I'll measure it the next time it dos it. Note: It seems to do it when I start it (Cold) and the engine idling at lowest RPM. Once I ramp up the RPM's and starting working, I don't have the issue.