Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Early caterpillar d6h value

MattR · 2025-09-04 13:56

I have acquired an early d6h. I've known the machine for years. The guy that owned it was a small contractor. He used it to build ponds and it worked nicely. He rebuilt the engine completely and about 2 hours into it's next project it started knocking. It was put on the trailer and brought home. It drove to where it sits now. It has sat for about 3 years. He died this spring. I acquired the machine through helping the family. It's in pretty good shape with a decent undercarriage. What is realistic price for this machine as is. I would like to sell it before winter

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2025-09-04 14:17

    My suggestion would be to use the machine Serial Number and search places such as Machinery Trader to see what similar machines have changed hands for recently. D6H tractors are so common I'm sure you will find quite a few with similar hours, extras, and condition. If there is a question mark over the engine then obviously its value will be at the lower end of the scale.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-09-04 15:10

    Would be good to have someone experienced check out the engine. It may not be too seriously damaged. If it could be fixed for a reasonable cost would easily be covered in the higher sale price.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2025-09-04 15:49

    With the engine trashed (how a buyer will assume) its worth whatever shape the undercarrage is in. If the bottom is trashed its not worth much (10000 or less)

  4. #4nicky 68a2025-09-05 03:16

    The undercarriage doesn’t look too good to me from the pictures. With a knocking engine and weeping planetaries and open cab etc,I would value at scrap.