Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Early Model 955L Correct Operator and Maintenance Manuals

Terry955L · 2024-10-29 18:28

First post every and am hoping someone can help to identify the correct Operator and Maintenance manuals for my machine. I have an early model 955L, Serial Number: 71J3611 (yes, only 4 numbers) and have have discover that CAT does not have this model in their system. The CAT service guy used 85J03611 to help id the seal I used for the main lift and idler adjuster cylinders. I did find an earlier posting Nige and Rusted where they helped another individual to id the correct engine. However, I recognize that I really need the manuals to make additional repairs. Can anyone help me to id the most accurate manuals for my situation. Any assistance is appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2024-10-29 18:50

    This is the Maintenance Manual for all 71J-prefix machines from S/N 2178-Up. So that would include yours. Note the 85J Serial Number range that runs alongside the 71J ones for future reference. Also included the reference to the Parts Manual covering 71J machines from 4558-Up. Based on what you're saying though I get the impression that you are looking for a Service Manual as opposed to a Maintenance Manual. The SM is the big binder that covers all such things as Specifications, System Operation, Test & Adjust, Disassembly & Assembly, Troubleshooting, etc, etc. Here is a link to a used copy of the Service Manual covering 71J machines from 5832-Up on eBay

  2. #2Terry955L2024-10-29 20:00

    Thanks Nige - you cover a lot of ground on this forum and have helped tons of people. Much thanks for you assistance! However, I've gotta ask, is there a chance that there may be a down-loadable service manual that my be a bit cheaper than a hard copy?

  3. #3Nige2024-10-30 03:48

    Downloads are not an option for genuine OEM manuals unfortunately. The electronic versions sold online are in almost every case the I have come across a pile of random documents pulled together and sold as a service manual. I made a mistake with your Serial Number when searching. I put 6311 instead of 3611. That does not change the Maintenance Manual, it will still be SEBU6520. However that Parts Manual changes to UMX00085 and the Service Manual changes to REG00634. Here’s a link to a service manual on eBay but it has sold already. That’s the one you want though. REG00634 sells for $280 new in paper form or $200 in pdf format on a CD. Caterpillar CAT 955K 955L Track Type Loaders Repair Service Manual REG00634 | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Caterpillar CAT 955K 955L Track Type Loaders Repair Service Manual REG00634 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products! www.ebay.com

  4. #4Terry955L2024-10-30 04:26

    Thanks again Nige - I especially appreciate your comment on OEM vice electronic version. I'll be getting the OEM version.

  5. #5Nige2024-10-30 04:30

    You can download pdf versions of both Parts and O&M Manuals. Go to the Cat Publications website, enter the reference number, and click the Search button. Cat Publications Online - Order Cat® Parts and Operation Manuals Online Official source for Caterpillar® parts catalogs, operator and maintenance manuals, and service manuals for all Cat machines and engines. Purchase yours today! catpublications.com This company also sell genuine OEM Cat manuals. Maybe a bit cheaper than Cat. Official Caterpillar Service Manuals, Owners Manuals (OMM), and Parts Books for Engine & Construction Equipment Repair Official OEM Caterpillar factory service repair shop manuals, parts books, and operator manuals for sale for all Cat engines and machines. www.servicemanualpro.com

  6. #6Terry955L2024-10-30 11:18

    Nige - your reference to the company that sells genuine OEM manuals has saved me a chunk of change. If you're ever in middle GA please give me a call - I owe you lunch! Terry

  7. #7Nige2024-10-30 11:30

    Remember that if you buy a service manual from them it will also include an Operation & Maintenance Manual so you do not need to buy one separately....!!

  8. #8Terry955L2024-10-30 15:41

    Yes, I saw where one of the chapters was for maintenance but wasn't sure about the Operation portion - should be here is 3-5 days!