Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 455G Crawler Will Not Move

Blaigle · 2024-10-30 13:44

Hi all, I have a 455G crawler/hoe that was parked a few years ago because it would not move. I got it running and bucket/ backhoe work fine but no fwd or rev. I understand there are two separate hydraulic systems. I pulled the hydraulic pump screen for the drive and little to no fluid came out. Screen was clean enough to work. Should there have been fluid behind that screen? It shows full on the dipstick. I am going to drain the tank next and put new fluid in. Any help is greatly appreciate.

Replies13
  1. #1JBrady2024-10-30 13:54

    Do a search on this site for "450G won't move". I just did that and there are multiple threads on here about your issue. I would assume the 455G crawler is the same as the 450G dozer in this aspect, same as 550G/650G.

  2. #2Blaigle2024-10-30 15:53

    Thank you, I would think the 450 is similar. I drained the fluid that looks like chocolate milk. so now I have to refill it, hyguard will be almost $600 for 5 - 5 gal buckets. I have always only used hyguard on my equipment, but at that price I may need to try a different Brand.

  3. #3Blaigle2024-10-31 09:12

    Searching for the 450G provided a lot of new information. I have read a couple of post where the filter housing has issues and joining the two smaller lines on the filter housing would fix the problem. Is a failure of the filter housing common? How does that fix the problem? Thanks again

  4. #4mg23612024-10-31 12:33

    Oil level OK? Do the brake pedals come up when you raise the lock bar? Has any pressures been checked? Milky oil? The clutch discs in there really hate water. This to me means it was not clean. What was in there?

  5. #5Blaigle2024-10-31 15:33

    Thank you for the reply. I ran the engine for a minute, checked to see if it would move and it would not. I could not get it into the forward gears (I did not force it since I have not checked the linkage yet). Shut it down and checked the screen, found the milky fluid and decided to drain and put new fluid and filter. The screen had some sand and a little of the stuff that looks like wet toilet paper. It was wet but not dripping like I would have expected. I think it was pulled when it stopped moving 3 years ago, not sure what they found. All oil levels were full, brake pedals do not come up, right is down more than left. I am going to pickup the fluid and filter tomorrow, I have read the only way to prime the screen is to pour fluid into the hose and I plan on filling the filter before I install it. I have a manual, but it’s not the best. Looking into buying pressure gauges. Any suggestions? Any other suggestions or comments are appreciate. This looks like it would be a great Machine if I can get it going. It has 6000 hours, is that a lot? Tracks and undercarriage is all there and look in good shape. Thanks again

  6. #6Mcrafty12024-10-31 16:25

    My 2 cents...spend the little extra if any for Hygard...it's around $115.00 a pail at my Deere dealer. You can by cheaper oil all day long, My experience with oils in things like heavy equipment transmissions/ torque converters and bevel gears and such is you'll get what you pay for...and the problems that come with it. As for the stuff on your filter that looks like wet toilet paper I'm convinced that is from the use of cheap oil.

  7. #7mg23612024-11-01 05:10

    This has to be resolved first. If it sat a long time, then the linkage is probably seized somewhere. Do you have photos of the "wet toilet paper" stuff? The manual you need for theory, test procedures and schematics is the Operation and Test manual TM1403.

  8. #8JBrady2024-11-04 10:50

    If you need to buy hydraulic test gauges, Vevor sells a nice kit for $56.00. I bought the kit for working on a ** 30B tractor a few years ago and ended up not needing it, but it looks like it has all the fittings to work for just about anything. I have a 550G dozer and have changed the filter, oil, and replaced the suction hose when I was having problems with the brakes not releasing. You probably already know this, but when everything is working correctly, when you move the brake release lever by the gearshift, the pedals should rise up an inch or two. When you put it in park and set the brake the pedals should drop the same amount.

  9. #9Blaigle2024-11-10 07:53

    Well, I have changed the filter and added about 22 gallons of fluid. It is showing full. Started up fine, but would not move In fwd or rev. I noticed that I was only getting one warning light when tested so I removed the dash and cleaned everything up. All lights are working now. Restarted, I have a “trans oil filter” light. Brake pedals still did not move and the right remains about 3 inches below the left. I have the owners manual and TM 1404. TM1403 is ordered. The accumulator is at 0 (should be 8 psi) and will not hold any pressure. At this time I believe the transmission hydraulic pump is not working. I filled the inlet but do not know of any other bleeding procedure. I will verify pressure when I get the gauge set and book. Would the accumulator cause system not to pressurize? I have read that some owners report that warning light is often on, especially when cold. What causes the brake pedals to release? Assuming I have no pressure, is there anything I can check while waiting on tools? Thanks again for your help

  10. #10Blaigle2024-11-10 10:34

    one more thing I forgot… I have read about the transmission filter bypass failing? Is there a procedure to check if the filter is bypassing? thanks again….i will get this thing moving!!

  11. #11mg23612024-11-11 04:56

    Nope It takes transmission pressure to release the brakes from the park position. Too much to explain here. When you get that 1403 manual, it also has the theory of operation. This thread .

  12. #12roadrunnerhiwayman2025-03-31 16:14

    Any Updates, I have a 455G that wont crawl, parked it and it sit for about a year and never attempted to crawl when start up.

  13. #13Blaigle2025-03-31 16:23

    No, it is still sitting out there with $800 in new hyguard in it. Did not move with new fluid and filters. I am going to try to bypass the filter next, just have not had the time.