Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

East aluminum gravel trailers

245dlc ยท 2010-04-07 22:31

This past winter I've been working for a gravel company that just bought a brand new East aluminum tandem axle gravel trailer. I've hauled numerous loads with it, without a problem till the other day. I dumped my load of mortar sand in Brandon and when the box was coming down the front box guide caught the frame rail and got all bent up. I worked the box up and down till it finally sat properly as I had a three hundred kilometre trip back to the pit. Today the boss had me take it down to Maxim trailer they took pictures of the damaged box guide and the little piece of rail that reinforces it, they then cut off the damaged piece and ordered a new one. Now I wont put the box up if the ground isn't flat plain and simple I know enough guys who have flipped trailers and these aluminum trailers I have no faith in they're like having a rubber truck box. But this is ridiculous you'd think they'd make the box guides long and wide enough to keep the box from coming down a little off center. I've heard a couple of other companies in the area having similar trouble with they're East aluminum trailers.

Replies3
  1. #1tonka2010-04-08 08:04

    thats why i would buy a MAC... better trailer IMO....

  2. #2monster truck2010-04-08 12:49

    Is it a full frame or frameless trailer, I have only pulled frameless but in either case the guides should be angled out enough that they pull the tub back to the center without catching anything.

  3. #3245dlc2010-04-08 19:44

    It's a full frame trailer and its the traditional square shaped box as opposed to the round bath tub type like Mac has, which I think are nicer for hauling gravel. However I would prefer a steel Midland or Arne's especially when I'm doing pit to pit work. Our loader operator's are pretty lousy at making things flat, but oh well I'm leaving there soon.