Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer Mfg ID?

Raildudes dad ยท 2010-03-27 20:57

I bought this trailer a couple years ago. It has a Michigan title for a "1974 Assembled Trailer" which in Michigan means a home built trailer. The trailer came from New Jersey and was said to be rebuilt which it certainly appears to be. I have googled all kinds of mid 70's trailer manufacturers to find out what it originally was. It has a distinctive curved gooseneck but I can't match it up with a manufacturer. Any ideas guys?

Replies5
  1. #1Dumpsterdavid2010-03-28 16:56

    Looks like a Phelan.

  2. #2Raildudes dad2010-03-28 19:01

    Thanks Dumpsterdavid . Phelen isn't a name I'm familiar with. I've googled it a little and it looks like they may have been bought by Rogers or owned by Rogers. I also found one just like mine hooked to a 91 Ford L9000 on ebay. Thanks again:thumbsup

  3. #3rigandig2010-03-29 07:54

    The first name that came to mind when I looked at your picture was Rodgers. They are still in business so you might contact them with some questions on where to look for any ID's.

  4. #4mitch5042010-04-01 22:59

    Fruehauf? I'm thinking it looks a lot like a fruehauf. I wonder if Phelan bought fruehauf's lowboy designs? These pictures are of my fruehauf that was built in detroit in 1953. I bought it from the family of the man who bought it new and have his original 1953 title. As an aside, I own the very last fruehauf dump trailer ever built which I bought new.

  5. #5mitch5042010-04-01 23:10

    I also own two rogers lowboys (1 from the early 70's and 1 from the mid 90's) and they both have straight necks.