Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

East dump bed lighting issues

EricR522 ยท 2021-10-24 09:05

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the correct area. But I have a 1997 Peterbilt 357 with a East aluminum dump bed on it and the lights in the bed are just getting older and becoming a pain. So I wanted to switch to led lights but I cant find any to fit. All the 2.5" lights I've tried are just very slightly smaller then then hole for the lights now. These lights aren't in the posts of the bed but are in a bracket beside them. I will try to attach a picture to show you what I mean. If anyone else has dealt with this issue in converting to led I appreciate any help.

Replies20
  1. #1Jonas3022021-10-24 09:26

    You could probably switch to rubber grommets for the 2.5 inch leds instead of the tin holders it would be a nice clean look too

  2. #2EricR5222021-10-24 11:29

    That was what I had tried but the rubber grommets were too small. The hole in the bed is over 1/16th of an inch larger then the O.D. of the rubber grommet with the light placed in it. The other small issue I forgot to mention is the way they are set up now, they are grounded by the screws holding them into the bed.

  3. #3Jonas3022021-10-24 14:02

    https://www.grote.com/other/bracket...il-retention-cap-for-2-12-round-lights/43163/ https://www.grote.com/signal-lighti...rnova-2-12-led-clearance-marker-lights/47202/ See how those compare to your mounting holes Do you know what number your current bulbs are?

  4. #4JPV2021-10-25 12:13

    I would replace them with the little 3/4 inch led marker lights. Make a plate to cover the existing hole with a 3/4 inch hole in it, they are just as bright and last a long time.

  5. #5Truck Shop2021-10-26 16:45

    Although I personally do not like the 3/4 led's. Had many short out where wires are molded into lamp, which burned melted. Plus the price is out there. 3/4 are bright.

  6. #6hosspuller2021-10-26 17:18

    Grounding to aluminum has been my problem... I found using "Ideal Noalox" between the aluminum and the connection seems to make a lasting ground.

  7. #7EricR5222021-10-26 18:33

    I had considered doing this. I was just concerned with it looking goofy with a smaller light in such a big area. Thoughts?

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-10-26 18:35

    For marker light connections with LED without bullet connectors I use Peterson 176-496 pigtails. To wire markers I use United pacific daisy chain.

  9. #9EricR5222021-10-26 18:36

    The current bulbs are 257's

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-10-26 18:37

    Many 53' foot refer trailers like Great Dane and Western Trailer uses the 3/4. DOT legal.

  11. #11Truck Shop2021-10-26 18:43

    Peterson lighting 176-496 female bullet pigtails.

  12. #12heymccall2021-10-26 18:48

    Them looks like Betts 56 series.

  13. #13EricR5222021-10-26 18:56

    I should have been more clear with what I meant, sorry. I meant because the lights are in the separate bracket by themselves and not in the posts on the bed. Just thought it might look out of place with a small light in it. The brackets are roughly 4" x 6"

  14. #14EricR5222021-10-26 18:58
  15. #15heymccall2021-10-26 19:19

    60 series LED inserts https://www.bettsind.com/56-led-shallow-lens-assemblies-plastic-lamps-dble-contact/ 510022 for amber (shallow)

  16. #16heymccall2021-10-26 19:25

    I dunno what grommet you tried, but a 60 series Betts requires a 3" hole. 91410 Grote is for 3" hole (fits 2.5" lamp) as does the Trucklite 10704.

  17. #17EricR5222021-10-28 21:59
  18. #18EricR5222021-10-28 22:00

    Thanks for all the help guys it is very much appreciated!

  19. #19Willie B2021-10-29 06:34

    Are you certain the holes are too big. I just installed Grote 4" I'll have to measure diameter of hole. At first I thought I had screwed up, plasma cut holes too big, but working the grommet, pressing one side WAY beyond, it gets to a groove well inside the grommet.

  20. #20Truck Shop2021-10-29 07:43

    That photo above is a explosion proof light used primarily on tankers.